Chapter Twelve: Heat Waves

I walked into the house feeling four intense eyes on me. Peter and May sat awkwardly staring at me as if I'd just interrupted their conversation. They both sat at the island.

Peter glanced at May and gave her a look that said, 'don't say another word' but about what? I walked in and stood at the counter and snatched a cookie, giving May a smile.

I wondered why there was awkward silence between us. We weren't usually like this. We always laughed and joked around like a happy family. Why this all of a sudden?

"These are good." I said weaker than I meant to. She smiled and nodded.

"Thanks hun," she glanced nervously at Peter, who's eyes were fixed on mine.

I walked to our room and realized Peter was trailing behind me. I remembered that I haven't even eaten super yet. Thinking of this, made my stomach growl.

"Hey," I said turning around to him once we got in his room. He gave me a worried look like he thought I was gonna ask him to leave.

"No, its fine. I just... Haven't eaten." I said anxiously running my fingers through my braid to make sure it was still in place.

"Yeah, I can get May to make us something."

"No- I was thinking maybe we could go out." I smiled and grabbed his hands. He smiled and his cheeks turned red.

"What about Maria's dinner?" He asked.

"Uh- what about something else?" I offered.

"Oh... Oh yeah."

*Peters POV*

I totally forgot what Y/N had to witness at Maria's Dinner! I immediately felt bad for offering that to her. Her head hung low as she told me that she didn't want to go there

I looked at her. She'd been acting so strange since I got home. Did she think I didn't like her? I loved her... She's so beautiful and funny and always smiles.

"I'm so sorry... I forgot." She looked up at me. Gosh, if that place frightened her this much, she wouldn't wanna know half the crap I do to save the world.

Today for instance.

She reached in for a hug. "I was thinking more like Chuck-E Cheese." She chuckled.

My face beamed. "Really?!" I literally haven't been there since I was a kid.

She rolled her eyes. "No, ya doof!" This is why I love her. What a goofball. I snapped my finger."Darn!" That made her giggle.

"Let's go to Hustans." She suggested.

"A little cheap don't you think?" I asked her. I wanted to show her how much she meant to me. I was gonna take her to a fancier place.

"Yea, let's go!" Plan back fired much. I nodded at her, not wanting to argue.

We had a good walk together, down the street to Hustans. We had a really good meal and talked a lot- which made me happy. When we were finished, I insisted to pay for the meal and we walked down the street. We talked and joked around. It was fun. Maybe she hadn't changed at all.
Tonight was perfect.

*Y/N's POV*

Tonight was awful!

There was an awkward silence between Peter and I as we sat at the corner booth. I could feel his gaze on me the whole time. I looked up at him a few times and flashed him a smile and tried filling in the silence with some jokes and humor here and there but it was just... Weird!

I wonder what he thought of the date. We walked home together and he seemed to be pretty satisfied. Maybe he forgot about the possible other girl. Or maybe there was no other girl...

    He did have a long day- and I would know that. Maybe he was distraught by the fact that he thought he was gonna die earlier. That gun man on the ground would have shot him if it wasn't for me. Damn he'd owe me so big if only he knew... But he couldn't.

We walked along the sidewalk together heading towards home.

I let out a hard laugh at something he'd just said and I immediately stopped, feeling myself loose balance. A pain shot through my head as if I'd just been hit with a brick. I stood for a moment looking at the ground.

     I saw Peter turn and stare at me from the corner of my eye. He said muffled words that I couldn't make out. Probably something like, are you okay. Waw he was always so caring. Caring... I lost all trail of thought. My ears began to ring and I groaned from the agony drifting throughout my body. I felt a tear trinckle down my cheek and that's when Peter took that as a cue to come up beside me. I looked up at a blurry person I knew was Peter.

What was happening to me? Was this apart of the disease? I took a step back unintentionally. As I took a step back I hesitated, causing me to loose my balance and fall to the ground.

I sat there a moment looking around clueless. Where am I? I glanced around and looked up to see a familiar face.... Who? He reached an arm down to me and helped raise me to my feet.

"Huh, thanks." Peter... That's his name. Why did I feel so dizzy? I grabbed ahold of his shoulder to balance myself. I felt like dropping to the ground. My legs felt weak as if I burned the muscles with in them.

"What the hell happened?" His voice cracked on the word hell and I would've smirked if we wasn't for the circumstances.

"I uh... It's the heat." I lied. "Its getting to me." He looked around.

"Okay let's go." He put his arm over my shoulder and basically carried me the rest of the way home while I shifted my weight on my own feet every once and a while.

"May has heat flashes too sometimes..." He said as we climbed the staircase to his apartment. "But not usually that bad."

"May's... May's old." I tired to make that sound nicer than it came out. He chuckled.

"You've gotta point there." He opened up the door to find May on the other side smiling ear to ear until she saw Peter's arm around me. She frowned.

"Is everything okay?" She asked worryingly.

"It's just heat waves..." Peter said dragging me over to the couch.

Suddenly I hated him for saying that.

I sat down and watched as Peter grabbed a cold damp wash cloth. I looked at may who was scanning my face intensly.

"Heat waves, huh?" She asked Peter but kept her eyes on me.

"How about you go have a shower or something while I take care of Y/N." She said grabbing the cloth from Peter and motioning for him to leave. He hesitated for a while but moaned and left the area.

"Have you ever had heat waves before Y/N?" She asked kinda suspiciously. I cocked my head.

"No, but they suck!" I said couragingly. I'm such a terrible person... I'm lying to someone who's wasting money on a foster child--- me!!! How heartless!

"Yeah... Usually when people have heat waves, their face goes beat red... Yours is white." Why was she being so suspicious??? She wasn't usually the one to but in and invade peoples privacy. Did it have to do with Peter and her chat?