Chapter 78 -Epilogue-

You wouldn’t guess where I am right now… I am lying in a canopy bed in another city and am surrounded by red rose petals and Carlisle is lying next to me… Yesterday had been the most special day. I am still trying to process all the impressions from our beautiful trip. When I have woken up yesterday morning I would have never thought I would end up where I am right now… And it all started with Carlisle wanting to show me something…

0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0

“Come, I want to show you something,” he whispered into my ear. I looked confusedly at him. “We can’t just go… They would notice and it’s Bella and Edward’s party after all and what about Carlie…” I rambled, but Carlisle stopped me with a finger over my mouth and an amused smile. “Edward and Bella won’t mind and Carlie is sleeping soundly and isn’t alone. And in fact, my love, everyone knows…” he smiled. “Was that the thing you were hiding?” I asked and remembered the mysterious talking and hints two weeks ago. He didn’t answer but smiled excitedly at me.

He looked so much younger with the excitement flowing through him and the mischievous sparkle in his eyes. Carlisle tucked on my hand and I followed slowly but willingly. I loved it when Carlisle was letting go of his serious demeanor and was just the carefree husband of mine and so I found myself giggling when Carlisle lead me to the edge of the forest. We were still illuminated by the lights, so that Carlisle was glowing mysteriously, but with every step we walked further away from the lights and our family.

Suddenly Carlisle stopped and held his arms open for me. I looked at him questioningly. “Just trust me,” he whispered and smiled at me. “Of course I trust you, silly. I just don’t have an idea what you are doing,” I laughed. “That was the idea,” he said mysteriously and clearly enjoyed my confusion, I thought. I walked over to him and he swept me up into his arms, cradling me near his chest. I lay my head against his chest, my nose filling with his scent that was sweeter than any perfume. “Ready?” he asked and the mischievous and excited sparkle never left his golden eyes. “I think so,” I giggled and held onto his neck firmly. He kissed me once before he started running at vampire speed. I couldn’t see anything but I felt entirely safe in his embrace and just relaxed in his arms....

As Carlisle carried me at vampire speed, I couldn’t make out where we were exactly. All I could see was blurred green or brown indicating that we were running through a forest. Sometimes something blue would shine through and I thought I saw a lake. I didn’t exactly know how long we were running already but it felt rather long. I thought about the fact that with running at vampire speed and still needing so long, it meant that we were travelling quite a distance.

I looked up from my thoughts and saw that Carlisle was watching me with a loving smile. “You wouldn’t tell me where we are heading exactly, would you?” I asked. “No, it will be a surprise, but it isn’t much longer,” he told me and leaned down to kiss me. “No kissing and running,” I laughed when he had kissed me. “Esme, I am aware about everything around me. I could even run blindfolded,” he told me seriously. “I know, I know. It was a joke,” I laughed. “Relax, Carlisle, why are you so nervous?” I asked and caressed his face with my free hand. He relaxed visibly by my touch.

It seemed that he thought about his answer thoroughly and then his mouth formed an amused smile. “I just really want to show you something and I hope you will like it,” he answered simply, although I knew that there was much thought behind that simple sentence. But I didn’t mention it again. If he wanted to surprise me, then I shouldn’t be too nosy. I rested my head on his shoulder again and closed my eyes. The vampire style of travelling always made me sick if I watched while being carried at high speed for too long.