Chapter 70 -The Last Night-

Aswe arrived back from the trip to the hospital it was already afternoon. We all ate together, and this time we actually managed to fill the table with all the wolves accompanying us. We talked, laughed and played with Carlie before she had to go to bed as we had to get up early tomorrow.

Carlisle grabbed Carlie as she was running around laughing and giggling. “Time for bed, sweetie,” he said and kissed her cheek. She didn’t complain and cuddled against her father’s shoulder. “Good night, sweetheart,” Rose said and waved. “Yes, sleep well,” Bella told her and waved as did Edward, Alice, Jasper and Emmett. Carlie yawned and rubbed her eyes but she still waved back.

Then Carlisle carried her upstairs with a glance to me. “I will accompany you in a few minutes, I still wanted to pack food for tomorrow before I forget it,” I told him. He nodded and disappeared upstairs.

I got up from the table and began to carry the dishes into the kitchen. Everyone helped me to clean up so that we were finished in a few minutes. In the end I was alone with Edward, Bella and Alice in the kitchen. I put sliced fruits in one box and then put that and a bottle of water in another small backpack. I rummaged through the kitchen and also put a box of baby cookies and other stuff into it.

I sighed and put the backpack into the hall so we won’t forget it. Suddenly I was hugged from behind. I looked around and saw Edward grinning at me. I smiled at him. “We will stay together no matter what happens tomorrow,” he promised and kissed my hair. “Of course we will,” I whispered.

Bella and Alice came into the hall, too and hugged me close, so that I was hugged from every side. “I love you guys so much,” I whispered and tears came again. “Don’t cry,” Alice said with a smile, but her eyes were glassy with tears as well. “So no change in the future?” I asked. Alice looked down and then shook her head, “but that doesn’t mean anything,” she argued immediately. “I know,” I sighed and hugged them close. “Now go and wish our baby sister a good night,” Edward winked and let me go. “I will,” I smiled and everyone let me go. Alice blew me a kiss and smiled at me. I laughed lightly and made the same motion before I walked upstairs.

As I walked closer to our bedroom, I heard Carlisle talking to our daughter.

“Carlie, I’ve never told you before, but when you came along and I held you in my arms for the very first time, it was a magical moment for me. You filled my heart with pride…” I heard his voice. I walked closer and stood in the door frame. Carlie was already sleeping. Carlisle was leaning on the cradle and held her hand.

“I’ve known since that moment that I would never let any harm come your way and I will try my best to keep that promise. I was so unsure if I would do everything right when I watched you sleep or held you in my arms. I hoped and still hope that I will do everything right for you. I love you so much, Carlie, and I promise you to be always there for you to catch you if you fall. Whatever decisions you will make when you grow up, I will be there for every step on the way. You fill me with joy, pride and love whatever you do, I hope so much to be granted more time with you,” he whispered and stroked her hand.

I walked into the room and hugged him close. “You will be there for her all the way,” I whispered. He looked at me and sat me on his lap. “As will you,” he murmured and held me closer. “If I get the chance…” I whispered. He kissed me. “We won’t lose you… We wouldn’t be the same without you,” he whispered and his eyes were glassy. “I will do my best,” I promised and leaned on his shoulder.

I watched Carlie as Carlisle stroked my belly and kissed me. Then we both watched our daughter and cuddled close. I thought I fell asleep in Carlisle’s arms that night.

Sorry for the short update, but next up will be the battle!

-All rights belong to Stephenie Meyer-