Chapter 34 -Our New Neighbors-

“Bababa… dada!” I woke up to the squeals and calls of Carlie.

I squeezed my eyes shut and then opened them. I looked around and found Carlie in the arms of Carlisle standing at the windows. Carlie was pointing at the things going on around her.

“Good morning, my most favorite people,” I smiled. “Mama,” Carlie squealed and reached towards me. “Morning,” Carlisle said and kissed me. He handed me Carlie and she hugged me close.

“We should get grocery shopping today, we only have the basic things,” Carlisle said after a moment. “I know. That will be a great opportunity to explore the city,” I smiled. He kissed me again. “I will get ready,” I said and got out of bed.

“Okay, I will take care of Carlie and make breakfast,” Carlisle said and took her from me. “Okay.” I chose a pair of jeans, a white pullover with a light pink scarf combined with a burgundy cardigan and beige-colored Chelsea boots. I put my hair in a pony tail, but didn’t use makeup. I hurried downstairs.

Everything looked even better by daylight. I really liked our new home.

“Breakfast is ready,” Carlisle called. I walked into the kitchen with a huge smile on my face. “In a good mood this morning?” Carlisle asked amused, but I could see in his eyes that he was delighted it was that way. It must have been one of his greatest fears that I don’t like it here. “Of course. It’s not a crime,” I joked. “Quite the contrary,” he laughed and hugged me.

Carlie clapped her hands on her high chair in that moment and we broke the gaze from each other. Carlisle grabbed a pink bowl and a spoon and walked over to our daughter. Right next to them was my breakfast placed. It looked delicious. I sat down as well and Carlie held my hand.

Carlisle played plane with her while feeding her with mashed bananas. After she was ready I gave her a small bottle of milk that she took gladly. “I will get ready now and then we could go?” he asked at the end. “Yes,” I smiled.

He winked at me, kissed Carlie’s head and walked up the stairs.

Carlie babbled on in her high chair and played with her bottle. I got up with her and put the used dishes into the sink. Carlie was all the while watching the hall. “Da!” she pointed at the door. “We will go in a few minutes, sweetie. Daddy still needs to get ready,” I told her. Her little eyebrows knitted and she looked frustrated. I couldn’t help but to laugh. “Oh, sweetie. What do you want to tell me?” I asked and cuddled her tiny face.

Just then the bell rang. I looked up in confusion and surprise and walked over to get the door. Carlie wobbled up and down in my arms. Did she know this? I looked at her and she was laughing. I shoved that thought away and looked into the mirror in the hall before I opened the door with a smile. In front of me stood a young looking woman with long blond hair, she looked pretty. She was dressed just as normal as I was, so not overldressed in any way.

“Hello, I am Anna McSheperd. My husband and I are living over there,” she motioned with a smile over to the house opposite ours.

“Nice to meet you, I am Esme Cullen and this is Carlie. May I invite you in?” I asked and motioned to my daughter who was still smiling brilliantly. “Oh no, thanks, I need to bring my son Avery to preschool in a couple of minutes. I just wanted to welcome you into the neighborhood. I heard your husband will work at medical school together with John, my husband. Maybe we could meet or do something together, if you like. I know it’s never easy to be new,” she said with a kind smile.

“Thank you, I would be happy to do so,” I told her.

Just then Carlisle came down the stairs in all his glory. “Oh, there you are. This is Carlisle, my husband and this is Mrs. McSheperd, our new neighbor,” I introduced them.

“You can call me Anna if you want,” she said and shook hands with Carlisle. “Nice to meet you,” he said with a kind smile. She smiled brilliantly at him, “It’s my pleasure,” she giggled.

Always the same, Carlisle would charm any woman. He couldn’t help it. But over the years it became somewhat normal to get that reaction from women. I only smirked at the situation.

“Oh, I have to go now; otherwise Avery will be too late. I hope to see you again. You can come over any time,” she said with another smile and hurried towards her house with a wave. I waved back at her and closed the door.

I sighed. “Welcome to society again,” Carlisle chuckled. “Ha ha, but honestly though, she seems nice, I think that we will have nice neighbors here. And she doesn’t seem to be too curious about us. I like her,” I told him.

“I already have talked to her husband. He will be the one to introduce me to everything in a week. He seems to be nice as well,” he said.

“Yeah, once again two wives of doctors,” I laughed. “You’re right, it was often that case in the past. But you know people are curious as soon as a new doctor is moving into town. It isn’t like that anymore so much as decades ago, but still.”

Then the thought of Carlie returned. “Is it possible that Carlie might have sensed that someone was coming to our house?” Carlisle looked at me confused and I explained further. “She was watching the door two minutes or so before Anna came by and she was pointing at the door. She was confused when I didn’t know what she wanted to tell me.”

“It could be her vampire senses. I heard her as well when she was walking up our entrance. Her senses seems to develop more and more,” he said and caressed her cheek. “Yes, that must be it. She hasn’t changed so much in the last months; her vampire side seems to have leapt forward in development now.”

“We might have to look out for more in the next weeks,” Carlisle told me. I nodded. “Ready now?” Carlisle asked. “Yes.” I got Carlie’s jacket and hat and then we walked out to the car to go grocery shopping.

Comment and vote? :)

-All rights belong to Stephenie Meyer-