Chapter 77 -Carlie's First Birthday/Part 2: Sweet Surprise-

Start from the beginning

Later that evening, Carlisle invited me to a dance the traditional way. “May I have this dance?” he asked and held his hand open. “Of course, my beloved husband,” I giggled and let him lead me to the dance floor. I had been sitting most of the evening so that others always sat next to me to talk, because I couldn’t stand for long periods yet. But we made an exception for the dance.

Carlisle swirled me around once and then held me to him and supported much of my weight with it. We danced the waltz slowly and I enjoyed the proximity to my husband as he swung us effortlessly over the dance floor. In between I caught a glimpse of Edward and Bella enjoying the dance and she smiled at me. We danced for two songs or so, most of them were Edward and Bella’s favorites and also Bella’s lullaby of course.

But then there was the song Carlisle and I had danced to that first evening as husband and wife: “Always” from Irving Berlin. I looked up at Carlisle and he smiled at me. But he seemed to be oblivious to the meaning of the song. Though suddenly Carlisle leaned down and sang the lyrics into my ear:

I'd forget to smile then I met you. Now that my blue days have passed. Now that I've found you at lastI'll be loving you always. With a love that's true always. When the things you've planned. Need a helping hand. I will understand always

Always

Days may not be fair always

That's when I’ll be there always

Not for just an hour

Not for just a day

Not for just a year

But always

I smiled as he sang the lyrics. I looked into his eyes and his golden ones were sparkling with excitement and love. I lay my hands on his shoulders and laid my head on his chest as Carlisle was still swirling us over the dance floor slowly.

I’ll be loving you, oh always

With a love that's true always

When the things you've planned

Need a helping hand

I will understand always

Always

He kissed my cheek and whispered I love you in between the lyrics. “I love you, too,” I whispered and kissed his neck. Everything around us could have broken down, I wouldn’t have noticed it. I was totally absorbed with Carlisle. I only saw him and the twinkling lights occasionally when he swirled us around in the pavilion. And the only thing I heard was the melody and Carlisle’s soft voice near my ear, singing the lyrics even more perfect.

Days may not be fair always

That's when I’ll be there always

Not for just an hour

Not for just a day

Not for just a year

But always

Not for just an hour

Not for just a day

Not for just a year

But always

“Always,” Carlisle whispered again and then leaned in for a kiss. I gave in eagerly and kissed him. I didn’t really pay attention to the next song playing, but it sounded like my song that Edward had composed for me nearly 90 years ago.

Carlisle broke the kiss and smiled hugely at me. His eyes showed so much love and adoration that I melted away in them and would have felt unsteady like the teenager in the hospital so many decades ago if Carlisle hadn’t held me protectively in his arms. He swirled us around again after that short pause, but then again stopped and smiled at me. He couldn’t help himself as all the excitement was shown on his face when he took my hands and kissed me softly.

I looked around disoriented after that. I noticed that we were at the end of the pavilion facing the forest. We were alone on the dance floor. Everyone else was talking at the tables or just standing in the garden and chatting. They didn’t seem to notice us, but especially Edward, Bella and Alice were glancing at us from time to time with a broad smile on their faces. Then I also saw Rose smiling sweetly at us, I smiled back. Carlisle regained my attention when he pushed a lose strand behind my ear and kissed my forehead.

“Come, I want to show you something,” he whispered into my ear. I looked confusedly at him. “We can’t just go… They would notice and it’s Bella and Edward’s party after all and what about Carlie…” I rambled, but Carlisle stopped me with a finger over my mouth and an amused smile. “Edward and Bella won’t mind and Carlie is sleeping soundly and isn’t alone. And in fact, my love, everyone knows…” he smiled. “Was that the thing you were hiding?” I asked and remembered the mysterious talking and hints two weeks ago. He didn’t answer but smiled excitedly at me.

He looked so much younger with the excitement flowing through him and the mischievous sparkle in his eyes. Carlisle tucked on my hand and I followed slowly but willingly. I loved it when Carlisle was letting go of his serious demeanor and was just the carefree husband of mine and so I found myself giggling when Carlisle lead me to the edge of the forest. We were still illuminated by the lights, so that Carlisle was glowing mysteriously, but with every step we walked further away from the lights and our family.

Suddenly Carlisle stopped and held his arms open for me. I looked at him questioningly. “Just trust me,” he whispered and smiled at me. “Of course I trust you, silly. I just don’t have an idea what you are doing,” I laughed. “That is the idea,” he said mysteriously and clearly enjoyed my confusion, I thought. I walked over to him and he swept me up into his arms, cradling me near his chest. I lay my head against his chest, my nose filling with his scent that was sweeter than any perfume. “Ready?” he asked and the mischievous and excited sparkle never left his golden eyes. “I think so,” I giggled and held onto his neck firmly. He kissed me once before he started running at vampire speed. I couldn’t see anything but I felt entirely safe in his embrace and just relaxed in his arms....

So, where is Carlisle taking Esme? :D It will be revealed in the Epilogue :)

-All rights belong to Stephenie Meyer-

-No copy right infringements intended-