A Girl In An All-Boys' School. Mismatch. -Chapter 11-

Five days went by after the club incident. Shane was still a little weird around me, but I guess it improved a bit.

Everyone was hyped up now, ever since the school announced yesterday, that the annual Amazing Race competition was going to start next week. It would last for approximately three days. The game's main aims were to bond students, enrich their experiences, and encourage sportsmanship. It was similar to that of the Amazing Race show (That should be where the game originated), only the obstacles were different. I heard the prizes for the top three groups were very attractive.

The groupings were up already, so the guys and I all went to check the notice board during lunch. I scanned through the list. Shane, Ciel, Lewis and I were in the same team. Kevin was in a different team from me. He was teamed with Kyler, Aston, and Aston's fatass dog of a friend. I didn't really mind my group, but I pitied Kevin. He only had Kyler and would have to put up with the other two guys.

The week went by pretty quickly, with the buzz of the race being the main topic of almost everyone's conversation. The race was tomorrow morning and Shane and I were in our dorms packing. The school was going to provide the camping materials like the tents and the cooking utensils so we only needed to bring our necessities. I brought like two bags of stuff. They contained food, clothes, and a first aid kit. I mean, what if we couldn't source for food?! The race was going to be held in the wilderness! I was so tired after my packing and trudged back to bed. Shane was already sleeping. I fell asleep listening to his breathing.

"Rise and shine! We gotta assemble before the race. Now, get up you lazy pig!" Shane pulled my arms, sitting me upright. I groaned and checked the time. It was only six in the morning! Urgh, I forgot we had to assemble early. I pushed myself from the comfort of my bed and dragged my feet to the washroom. Picking up my toothbrush, I sat on the toilet seat and brushed my teeth. It wasn't until Shane came knocking the door to rush me that I woke up. I had fallen asleep sitting on the toilet sleep while brushing my teeth halfway. Great. I finished washing up quickly and rushed to change.

Carrying my two giant haversacks, I lumbered after Shane. Damn were they heavy! Shane offered to help me with one of them and I gladly accepted. Surprisingly, we weren't late. We were briefed on the game play and rules. Our team gathered together and headed for the starting line.

The first part of the game was most crucial. We had to run fast enough to reach deep into the forest to find our 'mission'. The deeper the 'mission' was located, the easier the task, and the faster it would be to complete.

We stood in a horizontal line, facing the dense vegetation that stood before us. It was going to be tough. The grass looked to be up to my knees. What if there were snakes! There wasn't much time to complain though, after the whistle blew and everyone started pushing me, dashing for the forest.

Our group stayed close together, and I struggled to keep up. Though I enjoyed running and did that often, my speed could not match theirs. I tried my best to push my speed to its limits, but I ended stumbling over my own feet, which slowed me down a little instead. The guys were kind enough to wait up for me. In my desperation to not be a burden, I became careless, and my foot got caught by a vine. I tripped and fell. Tada. Wonderful man, seriously. I was such a loser! We were the last few in the race already! It was entirely my fault. I silently cursed at myself. The guys stopped and came by my side.

"I'm so so so sorry! If we lose, it's my fault! I'm sorry, I really am," I said the first thing that came to my mind. I was the black sheep. I couldn't stop blaming myself.

Ciel acted as though nothing had happened, and was leaning against a tree checking his nails out. Lewis sighed. That simple gesture made me feel even more remorseful.

"No, never mind. We can just do better in the second part. Don't blame yourself," Shane comforted me. His niceness made me feel even worse. How I wish they would blame me and scold me.

Lewis seemed to get over the fact that we were not going to get an easy task and said, "Hey guys. We're just going to work doubly hard later on, 'kay? But first, we need to get the 'mission'. So let's at least find it first." We all nodded in agreement.

Shane extended a hand out to me and I regarded a moment before taking it. I was pulling myself up when I felt a sharp pain course through my left leg from my ankle. Damn, I think I sprained it. I tried to act like I was okay, but when I tried to stand straight, the pressure on my ankle was too much to take and I fell into Shane. He caught me. "Are you hurt?" He asked. I was about to lie when I saw his eyes staring straight back into mine. I shouldn't have looked up. I couldn't lie to people straight to their faces, it made me feel guiltier. Yeah I know it's a psychological thing, but...

"I think I sprained my left ankle," I replied honestly. He immediately bent down and gently removed my shoe. He rolled up my pants, pulled off my socks, and examined my ankle carefully.

"Is it bad?" Lewis asked.

"Pretty..." Shane replied, regretfully. I cast a quick look at it and gasped. I knew it wasn't going to be good (duh), but, I didn't expect it to be in such a pathetic state. My ankle was swollen already and it was throbbing with pain. After seeing my injury, I felt as though the pain doubled. Urgh, I was such a whiner. "I doubt you can walk now. It would worsen the condition," Shane said to me.

The sky visibly darkened as we talked. A rumble of thunder could be heard. It was gonna pour. Man, talk about bad timing! I couldn't walk, and we hadn't found the 'mission' yet! Urgh! I was their burden. I was the extra weights tied to their feet. I was a loser!

As though he could read my mind, Shane said, "This game is also teaching us about teamwork. You are not a burden, don't blame yourself Colt. Now all we have to do is to find the 'mission', and head for shelter. I think there's a cave nearby, it'll do. Lewis, you and Ciel find the 'mission'. I'll carry Colt and go to the cave. You guys know where right?" Ciel and Lewis nodded and went looking for the 'mission'.

Only Shane and I were left. He crouched down and turned around to face me, as though expecting something. Was I supposed to do anything? "Get up," He said. I stared at him. Where? I think I said the last sentence out loud because he said, "My back, duh. I'm carrying you."

I put my weight on Shane's back slowly and hooked my arms around his neck. As though I weighed a paperclip, he got up, took the bags, and walked in the direction I presumed of the cave swiftly.

Rain started pelting on us before we reached shelter. My hair started to stick to my face and so did my clothes. Damn, it was getting cold. Shane quickened his pace, but by the time we reached, we were drenched.

--------------------------------------------------  

A/N: LOL. Sorry for the abrupt end. Just felt the urge to post when I reached here. I'm really grateful for all of you who commented/voted/fanned. :D The story's climbing up the What's Hot List and it's all thanks to you! I hope to be able to post soon, but there's really a lot to do right now. I'm down with a cold due to the weather. ): Also, 'cuz the exams are over, I wanna enjoy! Like, catch up with my animes, books, shows and stuff. LOL. But of course life isn't nice and there's still school. So yeah, busy busy busy. Not enough time for everything. So, I'll try to post soon, but no promises, it might be next week even. Though I think I'll most likely update again if there are so many votes HAHA. It just motivates me so much. :D Sorry for rambling LOL. I think it's the medicine or something O: Anyway, I shall stop crapping. (: Y'know the drill, comment/vote/fan! :D Maybe Shane's POV next chapter? (: