Chapter 29: Day 28

ELARA
♾♾♾♾♾

"Each group will have at least one person with a gun. So pair up and be back before dark. Also," Bellamy continues, "only use your gun if you spot a grounder. We don't have enough ammo, use your spears and knives only.

I pack up my bag when Bellamy stops me. "You're going out? I thought you were staying,"

"The more people out there, the more chances we have at finding food,"

"Or getting killed,"

I place a hand on his arm, giving it a small squeeze. "We'll all be fine out there,"

"Oi, Elara, we're partnering up right?" Rory straps a bag over his shoulder as he interrupts Bellamy and I.

"Yeah, lets get going," I give Bellamy a small wave before exiting the drop ship.

Rory and I part from the other groups once we're outside of the gates. We walk in silence for a while, scoping out our surroundings.

"So you and Blake seem to be getting along better these days," Rory speaks up with a suggestive tone.

I shrug trying to suppress a smile. "I trust him. I know it sounds crazy after everything he's done, but after everything he's done, at the end of the day, he's the only reason we're all pretty much still alive,"

Rory nudges me, "I wouldn't say he's the only reason. You've done your part as well. . ." He trails off quietly.

I take this as my opportunity to ask him if he's alright. "I haven't seen you around the past few days. You hiding from me?" My voice comes out playful, a nod to the close friendship we use to have. It seems that ever since we landed here, Rory and I have been drifting.

He smiles, "No,"

I stop walking and grab his arm. "Rory what's going on?"

He faces me and that's when I notice the nervous yet determined look in his eyes.

"Hey, you can tell me if something's wrong. You know that don't you, Rory?"

A rustle of leaves catches our attention. My eyes land on Clarke, Finn and another boy further ahead of us.

"Let's go catch up with them," I suggest but Rory grabs my arm.

I give him a confused look just before I see an arrow fly throw the air and land straight in the leg of the boy who was hunting with Finn and Clarke.

I open my mouth to yell for them but Rory pulls me behind a tree and covers my mouth. I hear his heart beating loudly as he hushes me.

"Stay quiet, Elara," he whispers.

The sound of a pained scream echoes through the woods. It's followed by several loud grunts and thuds.

Then, silence.

I push Rory off of me but when I try to run and catch my friends, he pulls me back again.

"The hell are you doing Rory?!" I whisper-yell at him. "We need to save them! We can't just let the grounders take Clarke and Finn!"