Chapter 8: Not Gonna Let You Die

ELARA
♾♾♾♾♾

I clutch the rope in my hands tightly as I wrap it around my arm.

"How much longer are we gonna wait in here?" Miller asks impatiently.

"Not much longer," I say the same response as I had been doing for the past few hours. I set the rope down and make my way to Octavia.

"How's Jasper holding up?" I ask.

She shakes her head.

Nodding, I sigh. "Alright,"

I watch as she climbs the ladder back up to Jasper and Monty.

"We should just open the door," Miller insists.

"And what if the fog is still out there?" A girl asks.

"Well we cant just stay here forever. I'm opening the door." Before anyone has the chance to stop him, Miller pulls the lever and the door hisses open.

Silence falls over the crowd as we carefully step outside, the fog gone.

Miller turns to the girl he was talking to, "See?"

She rolls her eyes and walks past him.

"Alright, now that the air is clean, everyone get back to work." I say.

♾♾♾

The heat was intense to say the least. I had my hair tied back into a bun and my shirt tied up just below my chest.

"Need a hand?" I look up at Rory who offers to help with stacking some wood. I give him a thankful smile as he takes one end of the log and I take the other.

"Octavia and Monty locked themselves up with Jasper," Rory says, "People have been growing restless with him."

"Yeah well, too bad. Clarke, Finn and Wells should be back soon. We're not giving up that easy on Jasper," I tell him.

Rory smiles, "You care about them,"

I shrug.

"You do, Elara. I've only ever seen you care about yourself. What's changed?"

I let out a chuckle, "Down here, every life matters. I've seen worse than you all. Those guys are my responsibility now. We went through something together, we go through everything else together. Not alone."

"Well damn, Elara. That was deep,"

I roll my eyes at him, "Shut up."

Someone yells out causing Rory and I to stop in our tracks. "They're back! Bellamy and the others are back, open the gate!"

I share a glance with Rory and we set down our log. We run over to the gate just as Bellamy, Clarke and the others come in. . .with a body.

"Bellamy?" I ask. He glances at him and shakes his head.

"Bellamy, you're back." Octavia rushes over to her big brother and looks around. "Where's Adam?"