Chapter 72

Running had been a part of Yeojin's life for a long time. Like in other races, one thing the runners look forward to in a running race is the finish line. To Yeojin, it didn't matter if she finished first or last. What mattered was finishing the race. It was the journey from the start to the finish line that she embraced. The wind beating her skin as she ran, the sweats, her feet forcing her to run even faster and push her limit— she loved those moments.

Now she felt like she just finished another race. This time, the finish line was the graduation.

"We did not just learn the subjects from our teachers. We have also learned about life," Sehun continued speaking at the podium as a valedictorian in front of his batch mates, the parents, and the teachers.

A small smile played on Yeojin's lips. Meeting and getting to know Sehun was something she didn't think she would have to face along the journey of her high school year. She remembered watching him stand at the very same spot when he was inaugurated as the new President of the student body. He was just a stranger to her as she was to him. Funny, she thought, how this time round, the guy standing at the podium was no more a stranger to her.

And yet, she had to let him go.

Holding back a sigh, she momentarily closed her eyes to drive away the bittersweet feeling as Sehun continued to speak at the front.

"We learned to make friends, to work together, to take a lead, maybe to follow orders, to negotiate with teachers regarding punishments too probably," he nonchalantly said with a shrug and everyone laughed at that. Sehun's lips curled into a lopsided smile before he continued, "Some of us might have also learned about heartbreaks." Some voiced their agreement while others laughed again. "As well as about love."

"Aye!" Jongdae shouted and pumped his fist in the air while others cheered and whistled.

Only Yeojin felt like she wanted to hide her head inside the graduation gown when she felt Sehun's gaze lingered on her. She caught sight of his small smile before he turned his attention to the rest of the audience again.

"Most importantly, we learned to grow. All those lessons help us to be the better version of us. We wouldn't be here today for this graduation if we were still the same person we were when we first came to Jaesan High School."

"Today marks the end of our high school days," Sehun continued. "But today also marks a new beginning. It had been a long journey of learning, but this is not the end. Whatever we choose to do after this, may we not forget to learn and keep on growing."

__________

"I'm so proud of you!"

With a smile, Sehun watched Yeojin's mom hugging her from a distance. Yeojin proceeded to taking pictures with Sunhee, Lin, and her family, and then some with Jongdae and Jongin. But Kris was nowhere to be seen. He remembered seeing him earlier in the auditorium during the ceremony though.

"That's someone else's wife you're staring at," Luhan whispered with a nudge of the shoulder followed by a teasing chuckle.

"Tch." Sehun rolled his eyes in response.

"Hey, President!" Jongdae shouted gaining his attention. He beckoned for him to join the group he realized was ready to take a picture.

Sunhee was standing sandwiched between Yeojin and Lin while Jongdae stood right behind his girlfriend with a hand rested on her shoulder. Sehun noticed later that Jongin was standing a few distance in front of them while raising a phone in his hand high with the front camera facing them.

"Nah... I'll pass—"

"Oh come on!" Jongin rolled his eyes. "You're a part of us now! You're our friend too!"