Chapter 56

For the umpteenth time, Yeojin read the article on her phone. She came back from the vacation with clouded thoughts because of this article. Now everyone- at least the ones in her school- knew that she was the rumored girlfriend of Sehun from the past articles. The same girl Kris publicly announced as his wife just last week.

Laying her head on the island counter, Yeojin sighed and placed down her phone. Her thought went to Sehun. "Would he be okay about this?"

"I'm home," Kris' languid voice at the door made her sit up straight. "Hey," he greeted when he entered the kitchen looking dead tired.

Yeojin softly smiled. "I was just waiting for you so we can have dinner together."

Kris hummed while making his way to her. "Reading that article again?" He asked glancing at her phone on the counter.

Yeojin turned down her phone and sighed. "I-"

"Don't worry about that." Kris turned away to get a glass of water. "I told you I'll take care of it. I've talked to his dad. Their side will clear things up." He downed the water.

Yeojin sighed again. She just didn't want Sehun to think bad of her. She never intended on leading him on or deceiving him in the first place.

Without saying anything, Kris turned her on her high stool and rested his forehead on her shoulder much to Yeojin's surprise. He then grabbed one of her hands putting it on top of his head.

Yeojin snorted patting his head. "Dead tired?"

"You're lucky school starts only tomorrow." Kris replied and wrapped his arms around her waist.

"I don't think I can get used to this clingy you." She smiled.

"You better get used to it," he replied with a muffled voice.

Stroking his hair, she patted his back with her other hand. "It must have been hard being a chairman, huh?"

"You put me in this position."

"Do you regret marrying me then?" She frowned.

Kris raised his head off her shoulder and her heart skipped a beat when he gave her a small smile. "Hardly." He tucked strands of her hair behind her ear. "I just wish we could have taken things slowly. You know, slowly falling for each other, confessing our feelings, those stuff." His gaze drifted to the ground. "I wish Dad is still around. Maybe that way we could experience dating like people our age do. Not suddenly shoved into marriage and handed down a position like this."

Yeojin could feel the slight pain of loss in his words and it pricked her heart too. Gently, she cupped his face and lifted his lowered head. "Didn't we agree to treat our relationship like we just dated?" She grinned. "Aren't I your girlfriend?"

Kris snorted. "Yeah. You're right."

For a moment they just stared at each other and smiled. Yeojin liked this feeling of security whenever she was with Kris. Maybe it was because he had been in her life since the start, but Kris felt like home to her. Her fingers played with his hair again. Yet for some reason, his gaze was slowly losing its initial glint. His lips, though, was still curled up.

"You're not going to leave me, are you?" He asked out of the blue.

Yeojin frowned then chuckled. "Shouldn't I be the one paranoid about that? Why are you asking me that?"

His smile turned into a tight one and he briefly lowered his gaze before staring back at her. "Just because." He shrugged and gave her a lopsided smile. "Forget I asked that." He let go of her and turned to hop on the stool beside her. "Let's eat. I'm starving!" He upturned the plate Yeojin had prepared beforehand.