Chapter 39

The sound of her own fingers slowly but constantly drumming against the table echoed in her ear loudly like the ticking sound of the clock as she laid her head and folded her arm on the table. Yeojin exhaled loudly glancing around the empty classroom.

It was lunch time, but she didn't feel like eating. No, she just didn't feel like seeing people. Her stomach was growling actually, but the cafeteria would be full of Jaesan students. In her mind, more students equals more judging stares. She knew not everyone hated her, but most did. Yeojin did not really care about what people said or thought about her, but she was just tired. Tired of feeling belittled. So even though Lin and Sunhee had coaxed her to eat with them, she just lied with a smile that she wasn't hungry and told them to eat without her. She wanted to go to the library, but some students would be there too. So she opted for the classroom instead.

She lifted her head from the table and continued reading the book she had quickly borrowed earlier. Never mind her stomach or the rumors for that matter. Right now, she needed to focus on her final paper and graduating well.

A pack of cookies landed on her table and she turned to the side when she heard a chair screeched against the floor being dragged. Sehun sat down on the chair he had dragged to her side, and Yeojin only blinked at him.

She had noticed since the morning that he looked a bit down. Though looking cold and distant might what he usually looked like, Yeojin had learned to distinguish his emotions. She was starting to be able to tell when he was in a good mood even if he still looked cold. And today, he looked sullen for some reason.

"You should at least eat something," he told her as he opened his own pack of cookies.

Yeojin gave him a small smile. "Thanks."

She also had learned not to push him away. First, he wouldn't listen to her yapping and she wouldn't win against him anyway. Second, he had been a good companion for her throughout last week.

"So what are you reading? Reference for the paper?" He asked chewing on his cookie.

Yeojin nodded taking a bite of hers.

"And how's your ankle?" He nodded toward her ankle.

Yeojin briefly glanced down at her ankle. "It's good now. I don't have to wear the bandage anymore." Her gaze then lowered down to the floor when she reminded of her still strained relationship with Kris.

Guessing what was going through her mind, Sehun nudged her. "Hey." Yeojin looked up to him and Sehun asked, "Want to go to the street stalls again?" He wanted to divert her attention.

They had gone to the street stalls twice last week. Kris wasn't pleased when he found him dropping her at their house because he was supposed to be the one to pick her up. But she would be going home to the Wu's mansion today, so Yeojin could call one of the family's drivers to pick her up to avoid listening to Kris' nag again. She just needed an escape even if it was momentary.

And somehow Sehun was like her perfect escape. Besides, she wouldn't lie that she liked those little dates she had with him last week. He made her temporarily forget her problems with Kris and gave her the temporary feeling of being a normal high school girl who had a boyfriend.

Temporary.

Lately, Yeojin often regretted that it had to be temporary.

She nodded agreeing and Sehun immediately grinned. It was still beyond him how this girl could make him smile any time. If only she was not married, if only he had known her sooner, maybe she wouldn't be Kris' wife. Maybe she wouldn't have to go through what she was going through now. The thought of her having to hear those rumors and insults broke his heart.