Chapter 55

"Happy new year too, Eonni!" Yeojin sang to the phone.

Areum laughed on the other end. ["Send my regards to your family."]

"I will." Yeojin smiled then took a beat. "Umm." Hugging herself and staring up at the dark sky, she hesitated before finally asked, "Are... Are you with Luhan oppa's family."

["...Yeah."]

"I-is Sehun alright?" Yeojin bit down her lip. The temperature outside seemed to dropped more. "I mean after the year end party, he didn't-"

["Yeojin, don't worry about him. You're with your family now. You're with Kris. Have fun. Spend time with him."]

"I know..." Yeojin sighed. "It's just that I don't want him to hate me."

Areum giggled. ["Sehun's not a kid, Yeojin. He'll get over it. Maybe this way he can be more mature and learn something."] She heaved a soft breath. ["Sometimes loving means letting go, you know?]

Yeojin didn't really know what to answer. She didn't really understand that concept of love, so she just hummed.

["And right now, I think you need to think about someone else more."]

"Yeah. Maybe. Anyway, let's meet up once I'm back, Eonni."

Areum agreed and after bidding good bye, they ended the call.

"Why are you out here?"

Yeojin jumped when someone suddenly appeared beside her. "Ya! Can you not suddenly appear like that!" She glared at Kris hitting him on the arm.

Kris just laughed. He looked up at the sky and he huffed an almost visible breath. "Were you calling someone?" 

The scowl on her face disappeared and she bit down her lip instead. "Areum eonni called." She expected him to look anxious or uneasy or discomforted, but instead he smiled.

"Ah, she did?" He turned his body to face her and she mirrored him.

Yeojin nodded. "She sent a new year regard."

Kris hummed with a smile. He took a step closer as if they weren't already close enough. Grabbing her upper arms, he pulled her toward him. They almost bumped into each other causing her to look up at him with rounded eyes. Yeojin only receive a small smile in return. His eyes weren't holding that usual cold nor teasing glint. They even look almost somber and sad. Yet, he suddenly bended down leaning closer to her.

Yeojin's heart pounded and she squeezed her eyes shut. A second later, she felt his breath softly caressing her lips followed by a breathy chuckle, then a press of his lips on her forehead. Her eyes flew open and she tilted her head back to look up at him.

Kris smiled a small smile. "Happy new year, Jin." Then, his arms enveloped her in a hug.

Yeojin stayed silent taking the time to feel his warmth in the cold winter night. But she couldn't understand why there was a little disappointment inside her. Was she expecting something more earlier? She wasn't sure. And then there was that sad look in his eyes she couldn't ignore. In fact, he didn't look that happy around her since yesterday too though he tried to smile from time to time. She had a guess why he acted that way. It was her fault for pretending.

However, she didn't want to make hasty decision when it came to her heart. But honestly, Yeojin was getting sick of her own fear of losing people she loves and who love her. If she was okay with liking Sehun without fear, shouldn't it be possible to love Kris without fearing she would lose him? With Sehun now ignoring her, maybe it was a sign to move on from uncertain feelings and to face her fear. Kris did promise he wouldn't leave her anyway. Maybe it was time for something new this new year.