Chapter 10

Chuseok. One of the most important holidays when family members from near and far come together. That was exactly what Kris never really looked forward to. This year's chuseok was the worst for him. His plan had crumbled down. And it all started because of one girl that he had been stuck with for two years now. He thought that he would be able to bear one more year with her, but now he couldn't. Not when he felt like his world had fallen apart.

Hurt.

He was hurt. He needed some time alone.
.
.
Yeojin's laughter gradually died down as she watched Kris opened the door to the backyard. The family was still laughing, sharing stories and jokes. But Yeojin kept on staring at the door with white frame surrounding a large glass allowing a large amount of light to come through it. She had been feeling that something was terribly wrong. Kris had not been talking to her since yesterday. They never talked much, and he had always been cold towards her; but since yesterday, he had been completely ignoring her. He didn't even say a single word to her on their way here after Mr. Ahn picked them up so they could join the family for chuseok at the Wu's private villa in Jeju. And Yeojin was bothered by it, considering that she felt like they were in an 'okay' or rather friendly stage these past few weeks. Not to mention that two days ago he even looked like he was overjoyed with her dating Sehun. She wondered if she had done something wrong that had pissed him off so much.

Mrs. Wu, who was sitting beside her, noticed the deep furrow of her eyebrows as she gazed at the door. She placed a hand over the younger one's and leaned closer. "Is everything alright, darling?" She whispered and Yeojin turned to look at her with a forced small smile. "Are you guys fighting?"

"No," Yeojin softly answered shaking her head. At least I don't think so. "Nothing's wrong, Mother," she patted her mother-in-law's hand and turned to look at the others. "Excuse me for a moment," she smiled and stood up walking for the door to the backyard.

The villa was located on a cliff of the island overlooking the beach down below. A vast green grass covered by several orange, red, and brown leaves greeted her sight and cold breeze of the autumn sea hit her face as soon as Yeojin stepped outside the house. A tree whose leaves looked dry and crisp stood a few feet ahead. It wasn't tall, but it had huge trunk making the old tree look strong. A set of two ropes hung around one of its strong branches. At the end of the ropes was a thin wooden block.

Kris stood beside the swing facing the vast blue ocean and sky. The waves tossed themselves against the shore and retreated back the next moment. He was burying his hands inside his pockets and was closing his eyes. His brows met in the middle as he tried to banish the pang he was feeling.

Yeojin came closer and hesitated to tap him on his shoulder. She decided to just sit on the swing instead with her back facing the priceless view of the blue sky slowly turning orange. She heaved out a breath with a smile and Kris opened his eyes before glancing at her. He clicked his tongue and turned his head away from her again. Just her mere presence annoyed him so much. But something inside him prevented him from shooing her away and himself from walking away.

Yeojin stared at the house. It wasn't big. It was almost the size of her house with Kris. The only difference would be the amount of glasses which replaced almost all four sides of the wall and the fact that it was two-stories house.

"It's been long since the last time we visited here, huh?" Yeojin tried to break the ice, but Kris ignored her. He was treating her as if she was a ghost. "I think the last time we came here was when we were in... elementary? Right? I remember our dads wanting our families to spend the school holiday together." Yeojin giggled a bit before she looked up at the branch supporting the swing. "Can't believe the branch is still strong enough to withstand my weight! I remember you fought with Lin because you wanted to keep on pushing me on the swing while Lin wanted to take turns with me. Do you remember that?" She turned to look at him, but he kept his eyes on the breathtaking view.