Chapter Forty-Seven

Falling asleep in their arms wasn't a part of the plan, but when I cracked open my eyes to see them laying close to me, I figured it worth it. I could feel the warmth in their bodies slowly return but that was all that changed. Their wrists and ankles looked worse for wear, and there were bags under their eyes.

I should have figured they wouldn't get any sleep, but I never imagined they'd end up this bad. Tears threatened to reappear, but I blinked them away and stayed still. Even if I wasn't tired, I knew they were and I knew they deserved to sleep.

When my eyes closed, I fell asleep faster than I thought.

Tender caresses on my face and neck were what woke me up. I blinked slowly, looking up at Xain. He flashed me a tired smile, kissing my cheeks and forehead softly. "You've been sleeping a while, Darling."

I hummed happily, placing my hands over his as I closed my eyes and enjoyed his touch. "Five more minutes?" I pleaded.

He chuckled and said, "In five more minutes your meal will be gone."

I huffed a little, opening my eyes and sitting up. To my surprise, there were two trays empty to my left, and the third filled with veggies and meat. My stomach gurgled but I immediately decided to just take an apple. "You two need it more than me," I said, looking up at Connor.

He wasn't facing me and I knew why. I slowly got up and approached him, crouching in front of him and gently gripping his chin. He tensed but didn't stop me as I turned his head toward me.

'Hurt'

My lips quivered as I rubbed his cheek gently, pulling him to me and hugging him tight. "It's okay," I whispered, rubbing his back. "It'll be alright." Whether or not he believed me remained to be seen, but I knew for a fact that he needed comfort.

Xain joined our hug, resting on hand on Connor's head while he wrapped his free arm around me, resting his head on my shoulder.

For a moment, or maybe a while, we didn't say anything. Connor finally spoke, breaking away from the hug. "I'm sorry for getting us in this mess."

"Don't," I said, gripping his hands gently. "We had to have known something like this would've happened sooner or later. I just hate that it had to have happened now."

He tilted his head faintly, reaching and rubbing my cheek. I smiled softly, leaning into his hand as I said, "It's good to feel your hands again."

"It's amazing to just feel you," Connor muttered, playfully glaring at Xain when he grinned and wrapped his arms around me.

"You can say that again," he teased, kissing my neck. I shivered, enjoying their warmth before frowning a little.

"What's wrong?" Connor got closer, pressing his forehead to mine.

I shuddered, placing my hands on either side of his head. "Miles threatened me when I was staying at Jean's home. He tried to convince me that you both were with other women and that you wanted to overthrow him. It was stupid, but-"

"I should've known he'd approach you when we left." Connor didn't snap but his voice was dangerously low. His eyes met mine and I shivered impulsively. He looked ready to fight, ready to kill; it was freaky to know that without him saying so.

"I saw that reaction coming," Xain muttered, sounding no less angry than Connor was. "Don't worry Lyra, we won't let him touch you. We'll keep you safe."

I got free of Xain's grip to turn and look at him. "Not while you're in here! Nathaniel told me I couldn't speak on both your behalves and that someone from the village had to come to represent you. Otherwise-!"