Chapter Twenty-Three

Connor was about ready to pounce when Xain said, "You never change Charlie

Connor was about ready to pounce when Xain said, "You never change Charlie. Unfortunately, she's not for snacking."

Charlie pouted a little before asking, "Is she a slave? You could've done better, Connor."

My jaw went slack.

Xain chuckled, kissing the back of my head before saying, "No, actually. She's our mate."

Charlie's cutesy act stopped on a dime. "What?" Connor nodded and said, "Our mate. The girl that you tried to kill. She is OURS." I felt my heart thump wildly at his words.

Charlie laughed and said, "Please, you can't be serious! She's so small and frail! And odd looking, if I may. Enough with the jokes, why is she even around you? You already know human girls, especially small ones, can never curb your thirst, Connor."

I ignored what she was saying for the most part. But something about the way she went about humans made me twitch. Was she one of those who hated humans?

Xain gently kissed my shoulder, sensing my unease. Connor sensed it as well, a hand lingering and reaching for mine. I took it immediately, almost enjoying the look of shock on Charlie's face.

Jean almost scoffed as he said, "What mess did you two get yourselves into this time?"

"One of the best kind," Xain murmured into my hair, nuzzling me. I shivered before wincing. Jean blinked before looking to Justin, who nodded. Jean then said, "We've set up camp down the way. I'll go back and get her bag. You trust me enough to do that, right Connor?"

Connor merely nodded, not taking his eyes off of Justin and Charlie.

Justin merely shrugged, turning around and walking away. Charlie stared us down before turning around and following Justin wordlessly; a scowl planted on her face.

Xain said, "It's going to be okay, Lyra." I nodded a little, walking as Xain walked, keeping my fingers locked with him. Connor walked behind us, close behind, as I felt his eyes burn into my back.

Or maybe that was the bleeding and searing pain coming from the wound.

Either way, I was once again injured. I inwardly sighed, wishing I wasn't such an easy target to the common cold and werewolves. Or men even.

The path was mostly straight, although the walk was still painful. The cool breeze whipped at my exposed back, causing me to flinch and wince.

I could feel anger radiate off of Connor as we walked.

~~~

I bit down hard on a piece of cloth, tears streaming down my face as I struggled to stay still. Connor shushed me, caressing the back of my neck before washing my wound free of dirt and anything else.

Xain was gripping my hands tightly, kissing my wrists, my palms, trying to ease my torture.

When we made it to their little camp area, three small tents had been made. Not wanting to intrude, Connor and Xain stated that they'd sleep outside. Jean however, reluctantly agreed to share a tent with Justin, who wasn't too keen on the idea either.