Chapter Forty-Five

After a cheerful breakfast with Josh, James and his men, Nick and many of his family, we began to prepare to leave out. Josh and his father had to leave back home to tend to their grieving family. Nick had decided that showing up at their gates to get the boys back wouldn't be the worst idea, which meant Matthew and I had to make sure we packed enough supplies for the trek.

"I'm sure it'll take us days to get there," Matthew muttered, reaching for bandages.

Nick chuckled and said, "Not really, champ."

Matthew and I exchanged confused looks before looking at him. Nick smirked and said, "Don't worry, you'll see later." We didn't know what he meant by that, and instead continued to pack.

Just as it hit somewhere close to noon, Josh and I were hugging each other tightly. "I wish you could come with us. One more friend would make this easier to deal with."

Josh hummed happily before pulling back and saying, "Nah, you have all the support you need right here."

I turned and looked at Nick and his brother, as well as my own, smiling at me. I grinned softly and looked back at Josh. "I know. I have more friends waiting for me too. I just wish you were standing there with them."

Josh smiled wide. "D'aww, you're too cute for ya own good." He then ruffled my hair. "Take good care, Lyra."

I sighed and smiled. "I'll do my best."

Satisfied with my answer, Josh turned and ran to catch up with his father and neighbors. I felt my throat close up a little, but shook it off as I turned to the three behind me. "Okay, so how are we getting there faster than a few days?"

Jericho chuckled and said, "I thought you'd never ask." He then punched Nick's shoulder lightly before backing away from us.

I frowned but quickly my face twisted into utter shock as he rippled before me. His skin seemed to rip and what shocked me more was that he didn't feel pain from it. Fur bore itself for Matthew and I to see; his face shifted and morphed into that of a black cat. By the time he had finished shifting, he was not a werewolf like I thought he'd be, but instead something along the lines of a really large black cat.

Nick watched my and Matthew's reaction with glee before saying, "Jericho, and most of my family, are werepanthers."

"Panthers?" Matthew echoed, looking at Nick in disbelief and confusion.

Nick chuckled and said, "Our origins aren't from here, but rather from across seas. But no time to talk!"

I exhaled sharply, admiring the large cat before me. Jericho stared at me with violet eyes before getting close and lowering his head.

"Uh," I muttered, "I guess you want me to pet you."

He chuffed in response and I tilted my head. Why couldn't I hear him?

"There are many types of us, not just werewolves or werepanthers," Nick stated, grabbing his bag from off the porch. "You can only hear werewolves, although how is a mystery in and of itself."

I nodded a little before pausing. "Why aren't you shifting?"

He grinned sheepishly. "Bad genes is all. Now come on, I have a pretty kitty waiting for me at home. Let's get this adventure over with!"

I smiled, turning and watching as the rest of Nick's family shifted; two women and five men, all shifting into huge cats! It was incredible and shocking and eye opening all at once!

As one nudged at Matthew, Jericho nudged his nose up against my hand, glancing at his back before looking at me expectantly. I stared at him in confusion before gasping in realization. "Oh, sorry!" I made sure my knapsack was secure on my back before sitting on top of him. I felt out of balance and a bit uncomfortable, deciding on where to grab as he stood.