Chapter Forty

Connor sighed. "Yes, she was. We really aren't sure why, but it could've been the harsh weather she dealt with days ago."

One werewolf muttered, "I'm sorry for your loss."

Xain gave a humorless chuckle. "We were too hard on her. It's sometimes hard to remember she's just a human."

I bit my lip, reminding myself that I was trying to get stronger to change that. I wanted to become a werewolf, feel what they feel, and see what they see.

I seemed nothing more than an adorable burden otherwise.

Garry said, "But that the other sweet part of her?"

"Don't get us wrong, Garry," Connor stated flatly, "I personally don't want her to change. But that's not the topic for tonight. What we need to focus on is the broken bonds we have among the nearby tribes."

"Wouldn't it be simple to just go to one tribe at a time and figure out why they're retracting?" Garry questioned. Jean sighed, "For any of us, no. It would have to be Xain and Connor to do it, since Simon was technically the father to both of them."

Garry cleared his throat. "Ahem, but that means they'd be gone for what, about a month? Wouldn't Lyra be out of her element?"

"She isn't coming," Xain announced. "She still needs time to heal and with how spread these tribes actually are, we'd be taking her into dangerous territory."

"Xain, you and Connor realize what detachment will do to her right?" Garry questioned.

"I'd hate to be the one siding with this idiot, but doing so will harm her more," Justin added on. "As much as I agree it'd be dangerous for her to be out there, the longer you three are apart, the more it will affect you. Lyra will automatically cling to anyone who gives her affection."

The boys were quiet for a moment. I couldn't help but quake a little. I'd gone through about two months without their presence before, but that was back when the bond was weak.

I remembered how crazy it drove me, not mentally, but sexually.

But now? Now I would surely lose myself in every way. I shuddered at the thought, eyes wide with fear.

Katrina eyed me, her stern gaze keeping me silent. "She will be fine. She was alright right after we imprinted on her and she still kept it together," Connor responded with confidence.

I wanted to sigh. He had so much faith and confidence in me, but I didn't know if I could handle something like that. Not again.

"You place too much faith in her but never ask how she feels," Jean stated. "You take and take. You at least plan on telling her why you're leaving right?" I wanted to tilt my head up, but something told me that I'd be spotted right away. They were going to tell me. I needed to hear it from them.

"We...should..shouldn't we?" Xain hesitantly asked. I gulped.

One werewolf scoffed and said, "You two are too secretive! I don't get how she trusts you two so much."

Connor growled but didn't respond. "We'll handle this our own way," Xain announced.

Katrina stood up carefully and moved towards the front of the room. I wanted to see what she was up to, but her stern look was still embedded in my mind.

"I object to this," she announced. "You both know DAMN well how bad this is going to hurt her and how messed up she's going to become! She's still getting over her cold and over her loss, and you two dog brains can't seem to understand that!"