Chapter Fifty

No

No!

I shut my eyes tight, struggling to keep them from leaking tears. No wonder their voices were so soft; they were dying. My wolves, they-they were going to die. "Gods," I whispered, struggling to stand upright.

All I wanted to do was go to them, to wrap my arms around them and assure them that we had more time. Instead, they were poisoned, and could barely recognize me and the bond we shared. A sob escaped my lips before I could stop it.

Justin tried to comfort me, but I found no security in it.

"Lyra, we should-"

"No!" I stomped my foot on the ground, opening my eyes and caring little of the tears that flowed down my cheeks. "I'm not leaving them, not anymore!" My heart was breaking, my eyes unable to tear away from their bleeding, trembling bodies. Xain reacted to my shout, turning his head in my direction as he stared at me wildly.

I blinked and wiped my eyes, breathing unevenly. "I-I can't leave them, Nate. Please don't make me." I was terrified, terrified that if I left, the bond would disappear for good. Already my soul couldn't handle it; I felt faint, legs shaking as I stood.

Nate stared at me pitifully before glancing at the brothers, and then back at me. "...Alright, but please don't get any closer. They're wild, in pain; I doubt there's a shred of conscience in them because of the silver." He grimaced, shutting his eyes tight before muttering about speaking to the counselor later.

My head tilted slightly in acceptance, glancing around before shakily walking over to an abandoned bench and sitting down. There was no use in fretting, no use in crying out. I felt hopeless, unable to help them, only watch.

They didn't deserve this. I didn't care about what they did, they didn't deserve this...and yet a strange part of me chastised me that they did. If the boys did force themselves on a woman, then they deserved a slow and painful death.

Yet the thought was haunting me, suffocating me.

Justin and Jean sat on either side of me, both of them saying nothing, for there was nothing to say. All we could do was wait. Kai got a little closer to the brothers, studying them before glancing at Nate. "Do you have a way to get the silver out?"

"Yes," Nate replied quietly, "but it's up to them if they survive it. They were so fractured before, but...something about them was different. Whole."

"Could this undo it?" Kai questioned.

"It could do far worse if they aren't strong enough to fight it," the chief admitted with a sad sigh.

I didn't want to hear any of this, but I needed to do. Connor and Xain worked so hard to bond with Xau and Cliff, and I didn't want to imagine them losing that because of this. I felt so...hopeless. I ducked my head, clasping my hands in front of me as I prayed.

If God was real, if anyone up there was real, I needed them to hear me, hear my prayers. Justin's hand reached over, rubbing smooth circles upon my back in an attempt to ease the anxiety building inside of me.

'Hear me...please. You two can fight this, fight what's hurting you inside. Please come back to me.'

Our bond was so weak...I never thought that last night might've been our last. I wanted forever with them, I needed forever. I started sobbing again, unable to open my eyes to see my wolves in pain.

Xain's whimper didn't escape my ears and my chest constricted, and I leaned against Justin in a desperate attempt to find warmth. He wrapped an arm around me, keeping me close. "Lyra..."