Chapter Thirteen

"Welcome back," Bruce said, standing up. It seemed as if he was ignoring the death looks Connor was giving to him.

I looked nervously at Connor. "Hey.."

He ignored me, and instead thrust the deer into Bruce's hands. "Here's your dinner. I expect you know how to skin it?"

Bruce grinned playfully. "I wouldn't be much of a cook if I didn't."

Connor ignored his enthusiasm. The brother then looked at me, staring me down for a moment before swiftly leaving the area, disappearing behind the vines. Bruce's smile faded as he sighed. "Xain told me what you almost did to save them. I understand why. What I don't understand is why your mate doesn't."

I sighed softly and stood up. "I'll go talk to him." I then walked towards where he disappeared.

Bruce suddenly grabbed my arm. "Hey, be careful. I know you trust him, but when a werewolf's mad, it's always best to let them cool down. Try to apologize and walk away. Oh, and one more thing." He handed me a compass. "Don't get lost, Little Sister."

I nodded and smiled as he let go of my arm, walking into the vines.

~

I walked for a decently long amount of time. I would've figured Connor was close by, but Bruce was probably right about him being angry.

Connor probably wanted to leave; to get away. Possibly from me.

I swallowed back guilt. I had nothing to be guilty of. I wanted to save them and I thought that was the way.

How was I supposed to know Connor was going to hate me for it? Tears started to form in my eyes as I clumsily made my way through the forest, lantern in hand.

Eventually I made way to a rocky, watery clearing. There were small streams here and there, and the rocks were everywhere, both large and small. I moved my lantern about; trying to see if he was anywhere near, but I saw nothing.

I glanced down at Bruce's compass and sighed. Doubts started to fill my head, including doubt that I was even going the right way.

As I turned to start heading west, a harsh voice growled out, "What the hell are you doing out here?"

I flinched and gasped as Connor stalked to me; his shoulders tense as well as his nostrils close to flaring.

I stammered, taking a step back before standing my ground and blurting out, "I came to find you." That answer seemed to calm him down, but not completely.

"Alone?"

I nodded meekly.

"Of course you would. You didn't even bother to ask your new mate for help."

I winced before frowning. "Bruce is not my new mate. You know that's not how it works."

"I think I'd know more than you about how things work around here!" He snapped. I groaned and snapped back, "Well excuse me for trying to save you and Xain! I'm sorry if you didn't want to see my lips on that boy's penis, but I did it to protect you!"

"Oh, I'm sure. Maybe you are what your villagers said. I wouldn't be surprised if you and your brother have made love once or twice."

My jaw dropped before I clamped it shut again. The tears that were already threatening to spill out splashed to the ground and slid down my face.

He faltered in seeing me distraught, but when he tried to reach out and touch me, I flinched away.

"Don't touch me."