Chapter Twenty-Eight

"What about Lyra?" Xain asked casually, although I could sense his tension

Miles stated, "Well, first and foremost, she has to be told the rules of living here. That is, if you three plan on sticking around." Connor's jaw twitched before he spoke, "You never leave a wolf or man to fend for himself. If he needs help, help him as a part of the pack."

I nodded a little, knowing that he was speaking to me. As if to show him, I turned a little, placing my hand over his. He relaxed a little and looked at me as he continued.

"The second rule is to work whenever you can. If you don't work, you don't eat."

"That basically means if you know how to cook, sew, hunt, fight, travel to different towns for special supplies, or tending someone's wounds, you have to put those talents to work," Xain added.

I smiled and said, "I used to travel with my father to other towns a lot. I also know how to pick food and clean and cook."

Xain chuckled and said, "Yes you do."

Connor didn't smile as he said the third rule, and his gaze was directed towards Miles. "Rule three. You don't mess with another's mate. Cheating or forcefully taking away someone's mate can hurt both, if not all participants."

I frowned, gripping his hand firmly and catching him off guard. "Connor. I would never hurt you like that. I don't want to hurt you at all." 'Not again,' I thought.

Connor looked at me in surprise before relaxing, cupping my cheek. "Easy, Doll. I'm just letting you know." Xain wrapped an arm around my neck, kissing the back of my head. "You're so cute when you voice your devotion like that."

I blushed furiously, realizing that Miles and his wives were watching us intently. "Oh.. I'm sorry."

Victoria laughed softly. "Please, dear. I should apologize. We've never seen a three-way relationship like this, especially not with both men getting along. But I guess that's because they're brothers at heart."

I smiled shyly before looking up at Connor. "Eat some more, okay?" He raised one of my hands, kissing my knuckles gently. "Only if you do," he replied with a small smile. Xain bit my ear and said, "Or we could go home now and-"

"Xain!!" I practically screeched, blushing hard and wishing I could hide under the table. Miles and Victoria laughed at us; Faye giggling and blushing as well.

Xain smirked and said, "You'd better eat then, Darling. We still have places to be." I pouted a little but nodded. "Alright."

I picked up my spoon and went to eating my soup. Miles cleared his throat before saying, "You haven't forgotten, have you?"

I glanced up at him to find him glancing at Xain and Connor.

Xain said, "Nope, we haven't. Of course, that's a discussion we'd like to have with her alone."