Chapter Thirty-Four

Emily snorted

Emily snorted. "Yeah, she probably approached you to tease you about Connor's absence."

Charlie snorted. "Not today, but thanks for the suggestion, tomboy." She then looked to me, her gaze softening. "No, I'm not trying to harass you. At least, not today."

I rolled my eyes. At least she was honest.

Charlie sighed. "There are plants and berries that we desperately need if we're going to make it this winter and we were told to go scouting, but there's a lot of females and males already coming down with a cold."

Katrina sighed. "She wants to believe that there's a mountain up north with what we need, but I've been there and there's nothing." I shivered when a cold breeze passed by, causing Katrina to sigh. "Alright, everyone inside please!"

Garry took a step forward, only to gulp when Katrina smiled at him flatly. "I wouldn't do that, Garry. We wouldn't want your name to be Garry the Screamer, now would we?"

Garry pat Emily's shoulder and said, "Hahahah, good luck with that talk, bye!"

I watched as Garry wasted no time in running away from the house.

Charlie sighed in annoyance before pulling me inside.

Katrina's house was warm and always inviting. She always fancied the color silver and pink, although Emily never liked it.

Her kitchen was mostly bare while her bedroom door was always shut. Her living room consisted of two couches, three chairs, and a simple coffee table. I sat on the couch next to Emily while Katrina sat on a chair. Charlie sat next to Michelle, who didn't look too happy to see me.

I shifted uncomfortably before asking, "So what is it that you want me to do?"

Charlie sighed and explained, "There is this one place not too far from here; at least a day's walk to the place and a day's back. I firmly believe that there are herbs and fruits that we can gather there."

Katrina snorted again. "I've been there and told you that we'll have no luck."

Emily huffed. "Okay wait a minute. Even if there's a slim chance of grabbing what we need, don't we already have enough?"

Michelle sighed and shook her head. For once, she didn't look vile like she always put herself out to be.

"No, we don't. My dad's gone around and checked the supplies. If we risk it, we'll either lose a life or several of the clan will have to toughen it out."

I looked to Katrina and asked, "It wouldn't be out of our way to at least check, would it?" Katrina stared at me before announcing, "I'm not going regardless. My place is here." "But they have others who know how to cook meat and the stew you do," Emily countered. "I'm willing to go if it helps. Regardless if we don't get along, we have a family to look after. Children."