Chapter Forty-Two

I lay, curled up on Emily's bed. Justin and Jean's words continued to plague my mind.

A day has passed since I moved in with Emily and Jean. I couldn't fathom the thought of never seeing Connor and Xain again. I know what they did was wrong and that maybe the past couldn't be forgiven.

But they were my werewolves now. They were my lovers, my family, and my mates. I couldn't just overlook that. They suffer in their own minds with what they did to anyone they've killed, any female they've hurt, and me.

I was their walking guilt, a constant reminder that they went too far on possibly the youngest victim they've come across.

It will forever eat them that I was snatched away from home and put through hell.

And for that, I don't think I could ever get angry at them. In the end, we all suffered.

"Yoo hoo!" Emily called out, opening the door. "Hey, don't look so down in the dumps," she said cheerfully, bringing me in a plate of crackers and grapes. "If you're worried about the boys, I'm sure they'll be fine."

I smiled weakly, sitting up and watching Emily as she settled down beside me. She wasn't told of the info I had found out, nor did Garry and Katrina know.

And so I couldn't talk about it. I had to add up my sadness to just missing them. Emily smiled at me and passed me a cracker. "Eat up, Lyra. You'll need your strength, right?" I grabbed the cracker and nibbled on it, humming in response.

Emily looked at me for a few minutes before saying, "I know it's hard for you right now, but it'll get better, I promise. For now, let's eat!" I smiled at her and ate a few more crackers, her presence helping me feel better.

A few minutes passed when I heard a knock at the door. Emily started to get up before she sniffed. She then frowned and whispered, "Lyra, I smell Miles."

I tensed up but smiled a little. "It's okay. We can just send him away. He has no business here regardless."

Her eyes widened as she shook her head. "We're not supposed to see the gang for a while. Even my brother will be absent for a minute. And what if he doesn't leave?" I got out of bed and patted down my red dress, thankful that it covered me like a bundle of drapes would.

"Let's go see what he has to say, alright? Besides..." I lowered my voice to where I was sure she could barely hear it. "He might let himself in if we don't..."

She gulped but gave a weary smile. "R-right. Then I guess we should." She got out of bed as well, having been dressed in a large shirt and her brother's pants.

We both slowly made our way to the door, practically jumping when Miles opened the door. Emily took a step back but I did my best not to flinch. Instead, I smiled nervously. "Miles. What brings you here?"

He smiled warmly at me and spoke. "Just checking on the neighborhood human is all. I know it must be hard for you for your wolves to be away."

I forced an even wider smile as I said, "I'm sure they'll be alright. You know what they say, quick feet leads to an adventurous life." "I'm sure," was all he said. He stared at me for a moment before taking a step forward. Emily immediately said, "Oh, we're not ready for any guests right now. In fact, we were just getting ready to sleep."

He stopped and chuckled. "That is all and well with me. May I speak to you for just a moment, Lyra?"

The way he looked at me screamed hunger; I saw it in Connor and Xain's eyes. I smiled a little and asked, "Is it important? Is it about my mates?"