Chapter Nine

I woke up feeling sore yet blissful

Both men were resting next to me in their werewolf form, and it provided much needed warmth.

I smiled and snuggled, almost forgetting the events that took place yesterday. I then sighed and sat up, slowly making my way outside where there were trees and sky for miles. I almost gasped.

The sun shined down on them between the passing clouds, almost making the scenery look like and illusion.

I didn't have a view like that back at home.

'Back home...'

I sighed and reminded myself that he wanted me gone.

He literally told the old councilor to do what he wished.

'I guess we really didn't have that special bond,' I thought sadly.

Someone gently placed their hand on my shoulder, and I turned to see Connor looking at me worriedly. I couldn't help but smile and say, "Emotion? On your face? Odd." He rolled his eyes and said, "I do feel, Lyra. Don't ever doubt that."

He kissed my neck, causing me to shiver.

For a moment he went quiet. He then said, "I'm sorry for hitting you yesterday... I just... I was angry at your brother, and I took it out on you. You really do resemble him a lot."

I looked at him in surprise. "Thank you... I guess... But why?"

"Because he didn't try to defend you at all. He turned his back. Xain is my brother, and he's done some really bad things... But I'd never turn on him. To be honest, love, if Mathew wasn't willing to defend you back there, then he doesn't deserve you in general."

I looked down before saying, "Even so... I still love him... And I still feel terrible."

He rubbed my shoulder in sympathy and said, "It'll be alright Lyra. Just know that we'd never turn our backs on you."

He caressed my cheek and I smiled softly, pressing my hand against his. It felt so natural for him to hold me.

"Am I interrupting something?"

I turned to find a tired Xain standing there. He waved and smiled tiredly. I blushed and waved back. He then yawned and said, "So, I was thinking we could grab a little breakfast before we head out." "Not yet," Connor said, "We're still too close to the village for my liking. Let's get a good distance before we decide to kill anything."

My stomach turned.

'I really hope I don't have to eat raw meat...'

Xain caught my look and laughed at me. "Relax," he said, "I like my meat cooked, not raw. Most of the time."

I giggled before looking down at my dirtied dress, sighing softly. "I wish I could've at least picked up some clothes."

Connor said, "Don't worry about that right now. We'll get you in something more comfortable. For now, we need to pack. Xain? We'll have to leave the hide."