Chapter Eighteen

I gently caressed the ground below me, grateful for how soft it looked

I gently caressed the ground below me, grateful for how soft it looked. I didn't see them, but I knew the brothers were watching me.

I was a specimen to them. A strange person.

One that ran smack into their lives and made them see differently.

I was a specimen that made them whole.

"So we stop here for the night? It didn't seem like we traveled that long." Xain chuckled and said, "You underestimate just how fast a werewolf can be. You really didn't know much about wolves, huh?"

I shook my head, smiling bashfully as I said, "No, actually. That's why I went out. I wanted to see a real life wolf. I know how large the average wolf is, but... I was curious. Being curious could've gotten me killed."

Xain carefully grabbed my shoulder, spinning me around to face him. "Know this, then. We don't hurt what doesn't try to hurt us. You showed no threat. I just... I couldn't help myself. I was kind of in heat so... It didn't help."

I rubbed his cheek, eyeing his lips a little. "I understand."

Xain grinned crookedly before pinching my cheek. "Sit down and rest your feet a little. Connor and I have to hunt for dinner."

My heartbeat quickened its pace. "Do you have to?"

Connor placed a hand on my shoulder as he stood beside his brother. "Lyra, last time won't repeat itself, we promise you this. We'll be more on guard."

"Couldn't I just come with you?" I pleaded.

Connor shook his head and said, "No. We need you to look after our belongings. And besides... It's best if you don't see us in action. There are some things we would like to shield you from, and that includes killing."

"But what if one of you stayed with me?" I pressed, not liking the idea of being alone at all.

Both men gently pulled me forward, each wrapping an arm around me. I snuggled close to them, never wanting to leave the warmth radiating from their body. They pulled away suddenly, although I could feel the reluctance.

With a gentle smile, Xain said, "We will be back, Lyra. Make no mistake. Hey, why don't you make a fire for us?"

I forced a smile, already knowing they weren't falling for it. "Of course."

Xain smirked at me, stripping himself of his weapons before shifting. Connor did the same, simply watching me with a blank face. Without another word, they took off.

~

I sat at the fire, having been alone for almost three hours now. I had already worried after the first hour passed, but I had felt more lonely than worried. Were it not for the crackle of the small fire I made, I would've sung to myself just to create sound.