Chapter Forty-Three

"What do we do?" Katrina asked, looking almost defeated. "Dealing with Miles wanting her is bad enough, but now we have to worry about an angry mob approaching the front gates? How did they even find us?"

"Foul play," was all Jean said, rubbing a sleeping Emily's back.

Garry was biting his nails, his leg bouncing so wildly out of worry that I was afraid his foot would take off from the ground.

Justin growled and shook his head. "I had a certain human approach me while I was out earlier, much past his house, and he warned me of them. Although how he got here before they did is knowledge beyond my own."

"That...Nick has always been a strange man ever since he moved in. We even offered him a place to stay at one point, but he said, 'I ain't the type for politics' and walked off," Katrina said, rubbing her forehead. "Justin... we can't just deny an angry mob. There are pups here, and that aside, Miles might see this as a way to get back at Lyra for rejecting him."

I was sitting next to Justin, leaning up against him for emotional support more than anything. Even though he didn't want to admit, I knew he had a soft spot for me.

Garry growled lowly, his bouncing stopping altogether. "What in the nine gates of Hell is his problem? Why can't he live and let live?"

"He's cruel," Katrina stated bitterly. "And as for foul play, Charlie and Michelle have been spitting venom in Lyra's ear, Charlie especially. But that's not even the point anymore. Justin, what the hell are we going to do?"

We all looked to Justin, who didn't look surprised. But he did look upset. He then sighed. "We're going to have to stage something. When the mob arrives, Miles might give her to them willingly, but state the boys are dead, just so they won't push the issue. My thought is we should let them take her."

Garry and Katrina looked as if they were about to burst, but Justin held up a hand. "I'll head out earlier and get Nick. He's a good tracker and he could help Lyra escape. All I have to do is go to him and tell him of our situation. He rescues her and takes her to his house, since the house is in a thick part of these woods."

I balled my fists, staring at the ground. Was I really helpless? Couldn't I do anything for myself?

No, clearly I couldn't. Someone always had to save me.

"I don't like this," I suddenly blurted, looking at all of them as I stood. "I can't go through with this and I won't! I'm not special and I'm not worth all of this trouble! We need to save Xain and Connor and we need to remove Miles for good!"

Justin rubbed his forehead and said, "While that sounds like a great idea, it is far from a great plan, Lyra. They're still being held for judgment because of their crimes. There is no possible way to outrun the mob and make it to the brothers in time."

"If we leave for them that might worsen the situation among the tribes and humans. We'll end up fighting all over again," Katrina stated, rubbing her forehead.

I gulped, keeping my fists tight so I didn't try to reach out to anyone. If Josh was with them, then maybe I could talk some sense into him, but that didn't count for the others who wouldn't take my word for it.

"What if I go with them but convince them to take me to the other pack?"

Katrina's eyes narrowed. "You think they'd believe you if you told them the brothers' location?"

"If I have to go with them anyway then it's worth a shot," I insisted, gripping the ends of the coat I wore. "If they want justice and revenge, then the pack might be inclined to hand them over."