Chapter-36 : Pandemonium

Start from the beginning

I took the tray of snacks from the kitchen and entered the room with a bright smile, "Assalamu Alaikum aunty!" My smile immediately vanished when my eyes met his. Why on Earth is he here?! Damn! I didn't properly wrap a hijab! Is all my hair hidden? Oh God, I look hideous now. I wear this dress at home and the sleeves do not even reach my wrists! I felt almost naked without my abaya and niqab.

"Walaikumus Salam Shayba! I guess it was pretty unexpected of you to see the groom here haha!"she concluded seeing my state as everyone laughed aloud. Great.

"Umm well, yes, kind of aunty."I quickly put the tray on the table, "You guys talk, I'm coming in few minutes."saying this I almost ran to my room and breathed. I felt so utterly embarrassed.

Standing before the mirror, I fixed my hijab. Argh!! Why did he have to come too? I was fine enough to choose a wedding card! Couldn't mom at least inform me?

I put on a thin blazer on my kameez so that it reaches my wrists. Then I came downstairs finally to talk everything out.

As his mom already brought a few selected ones to choose from, my job was easy. I opted for the Dark Prussian blue one and to choke me out, the guy in question shouted all on a sudden, "Great!! I chose the same one!!! I knew you would like it anyway."

Rolling my eyes, I barely calmed down in a while and replied, "It's a pleasure for me as well."

The card part went quite smoothly, but later I could only find chaos around me. I was barely done with my exams, when mom picked me up from University and took me shopping. From customizing our dresses, to book an appointment in the parlour and ordering the jewelries, I couldn't even find a second to breathe. Everything around me just made me feel more restless than before.

"Shayba, where would you prefer to get married? You have any hall preferences?"

"Mom," I mumbled in fear knowing what the response was going to be, "Can we perform the nikah in a mosque and then the ceremony in a hall maybe?"

"Are you kidding me?! Who on earth gets married in a mosque? At least none from our classes for sure! Is it a prayer or something? Shayba, it's marriage! You only get it once in your life. And your parents will make it magnificent for sure, keep that in mind."

I could reply nothing. I had to go with the flow of my family and in laws and agree to get the nikah done in a majestic hall.

Am I liking what's going on? No, not at all.

"Shayba, which colour would you like to wear?"

"Something dark, yet simple. Umm let me guess, I'd prefer Burgundy, mom."

Well yes, she kept my choice of colour, but it was definitely not going to be simple.

"Who would you like to do your makeup from?"

"I haven't thought about it yet, mom."

"You know Abir is going abroad tomorrow?" Mom asked.
"Hmm? No, I didn't hear of it."I awkwardly replied.
"Well he has a very important meeting to attend, you know H2O is such a big company. So, he and his secretary, what was his name? Mahmud I guess, are going to Singapore tomorrow. He will drop by India too as far as I have heard."
"Ok, that's new information."
"I can't believe he didn't tell you this by his own!"
"Why does he have to tell me that? It's his own business." I rolled my eyes and rather concentrated on folding my clothes.
"What do you mean why?! You are his fiance! Getting married in less than two weeks! Who else is he going to tell this to? His students?"

Well I AM his student.

I ignored and came upstairs as I knew I was going to lose the debate with her anyway. But later that night, I unexpectedly got a call from him, still showing me on the screen "Zawad Sir".