Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

The party was actually at the town plaza. It's called a party but it's really more like a carnival or sorts, with colorful booths and fun rides for everyone. It was the one we'd been going to for the past three years.

We only just found out that there's another more laid back party on the abandoned factory that had the underground club we went to with Harry and Niall. It was mostly for the wolves (and humans that knew about them) that lived in Seralune. The party here was basically a huge club party, except they hold it on level ground so everyone could appreciate the full moon too.

"Be careful," Liam solemnly said. "Call me if anything happens."

I smiled, "You too. See you later."

Their steps faded as they walked down the staircase and out the house. I sat down the stool Cat had previously occupied, opening the box and then setting the white sneakers from Liam on the floor.

I smiled as I stared at it but I couldn't help but be bothered by what Cat didn't say - how she was hesitant and hastily avoided telling me.

"Knock, knock," Louis said, snapping me out of the memory. He didn't really knock as the door was open anyway. He had a bouquet of yellow acacias on one hand. It was really pretty and was tied with a brown twine.

"I came to greet the birthday girl," Louis grinned as he walked in, handing me the flowers, "Happy birthday, my fair maiden."

I could smell the sweet scent from the flowers as I gave him a hug as well, "Thank you, Louis."

"So have the other alphas been here yet?" Louis asked.

I nodded, "Well... Kevin didn't come himself. He just sent someone to give me something."

Kevin had sent over a huge box of gold-dusted chocolates with a birthday card. I remember he always used to give me treats from where he lived when I was growing up.

But I guess Kevin didn't want to talk to me about Mikhail's allegation that something was up with him and my Mom yet. He must've known I had a lot of things I wanted to ask him about that. And I figured he wasn't prepared to tell me yet so he's kind of avoiding me right now.

Mikhail had also dropped by, giving me a pair of white diamond dangling earrings. I didn't want to accept it because I knew how expensive they were but he segued an apology for his rude behavior yesterday so I just accepted.

Dylan also came by. In fact, he arrived with breakfast. He also gave me flowers - but they were not really for me. He told me he didn't know me well enough to know what I would like so he opted to give me flowers to give to my Mom. Because, of course, he knew today was also her death anniversary. I thanked him profusely, telling him that I appreciated how he thought of my Mom.

Dylan also said that he'd love to get to know me better. I just awkwardly laughed in response.

"Harry's also on his way here," Louis said.

"Will you be going to the party?"

He nodded, "I'll be close by. Don't worry, I won't bother your date."

I ignored him and just slipped on my shoes before heading down to find a vase for the flowers.

"Sybil already at the party?" Louis asked, trailing after me.

I bit my lip and nodded, "Yeah, she left early but I'll see her later."

We couldn't visit Mom in the morning because Gummy was very busy the whole day. But it didn't matter anyway. We just agreed to visit her together before the day ended.

There was a knock at the door just as I found the vase. Louis went to answer it. We both knew it was Harry.

"Hi, Harry," I greeted him with a smile just as I finished placing the flowers on the vase.