Chapter 46

I opened my eyes to bright lights and unfamiliar voices, the pain in my left shoulder still throbbing. I was undoubtably cold with nothing to warm me up. The room had a scent that I couldn't quite describe. I could tell there were other people in the room with me but I couldn't make out voices or focus on the faces. I hoped Harry was here- wherever I was.

I wanted to try and move my head to maybe get a glimpse of where I was but my neck was so stiff and sore. From where I was laying I could tell the walls in the room were white but nothing past that stood out. Something about where I was made me feel vulnerable and I hated how I felt like I wasn't in control of my own body.

I was beginning to panic.

Overtop of me, a woman's face appeared and she seemed to be saying something but her words were muffled with the mask covering her mouth. She looked like a nurse. I think she was trying to calm me down but out of nowhere an oxygen mask appeared and covered both my nose and mouth. It was forcing air into my lungs but at the same time it was helping me calm down. The air filled my lungs and within seconds, I found myself drifting off back into unconsciousness once again. 

It felt like only for a brief moment that I was under like I had blinked and woken up again, still just as sore and confused.

As I awaken, I hear voices around me talk about a successful surgery I had gone through to remove the bullet that inflicted my shoulder and what my recovery would look like. Everything started to make sense regarding where I was and remembering what had happened earlier in the night. When I was last awake, I had been in the operating room before I was put to sleep for surgery. I felt alone and scared. I had yet to open my eyes but I didn't know what I would be opening them to.

I wished Harry was here, he would know what to do and what to say. He would be here to comfort me and tell me everything will be alright. He would bring our daughter and take me home where we could forget any of this ever happened but I knew deep down I would never be able to.

Just then I heard the familiar voices of Niall and Samantha. Not just their talking but also the sweet and innocent voice of Addison. I wanted nothing more then to open my eyes and see their faces and embrace her for as long as I could but nothing happened. I was tired- exhausted even, so much so that my body was hesitant to allow me to fully come out of my drowsy state. It took everything I had in my entire body to open my sore eyes and look at the faces of  people I needed most in my life.

"Mommy."

My eyes slowly drifted open and closed a few times before I was able to form any resemblance of a smile. Wrapped in Niall's arms was my red eyed baby girl who had evidently been crying tonight. She reached down towards me but I knew I wasn't quite strong enough to grab her on my own. Instead, Niall placed her by my side and she fit perfectly cuddled up to my chest. She seemed to settle down as soon as she was beside me but still attempted to grab at the oxygen tubing that was placed right under my nose.

Niall gently released the oxygen from Addison's little fingers and instead handed her a toy to distract her.

"How are you feeling?" Samantha asked. Niall turned his head towards her and they exchanged a glance that looked like they both understood it was a bad question. But it didn't matter how I was feeling because it was the last thing I had on my mind

"Where's Harry?" I asked. My throat radiated with pain and my voice was scratchy. I began coughing and reached for the cup of water that was on my side table with my uninjured arm. Samantha quickly grabbed it for me and directed the straw towards my mouth. The water and ice immediately soothed the back of my throat and I sighed in relief.

"Harry needed to be stitched up and he's talking to the police right now but we told him we would text him once you woke up. He should be here any-"

There was talk on the other side of the door that sounded like an argument but the only thing I could focus on was the fact that it was Harry's voice.