Chapter 32

Sara's POV

It has been roughly two weeks since my diagnostic appointment with Dr.Windle and I can honestly say I feel myself improving. I was prescribed an assortment of medications to take once a day and at this point, I can feel myself already relying on them which isn't ideal but it's better than what I was dealing with before. As long as the medications work, I'll take whatever they need me to.

One thing that seems to be helping more than any medication ever could is the phone calls I get from Harry every other day or so. Our speaking is more fluent now and I look forward to seeing my phone light up with his contact. It seems to distract me from what I've been battling mentally. It's like I have a mental countdown for when he finally comes home. After waiting three longs months, I only have to wait six more days to see his face and have him hold me. Is that really too much to ask?

It's safe to say today has been exhausting and I need a good amount of sleep. At this point I still have to get used to falling asleep alone. I'm accustomed to Harry's body laying beside mine and sometimes I even forget he's not here. Crawling into bed, I know in a matter of seconds I will be fast asleep but unfortunately that is not going to happen for me. For the next hour and a half, I spent the time tossing and turning from left to right. No matter what position I laid in, nothing felt remotely comfortable to me.

Bringing myself to my feet, I walked over to the bathroom. I shielded my eyes as I turned on the light before I could adjust to the brightness. I placed my hands on the counter top in front of me and looked in the mirror. I sighed in the desperate attempts I had just made to fall asleep despite the fact that I feel completely exhausted. I grabbed a room temperature glass of water because I was too impatient to wait for the water to run cold.

Sliding open the drawer which contained miscellaneous items, I located a sleeping aid I had used in the past when I couldn't seem to fall asleep. Out of repetition, I went to push out a single pill when I stopped myself before the act was complete. Usually I would have done this without giving it a second thought but now I had other things to consider. If I took the sleeping pill then I would risk not hearing Addison if she woke up in the middle of the night. That would mean Addison wouldn't be attended to or it would force Sara to wake up which I wanted neither to happen.

The temptation still lingered in my head as I shut off the bathroom light and returned to my barren bed. My mind slowly trailed off to thoughts of Harry and the boys and what things would be like once they returned. Those thoughts remained intact as I somehow drifted off to sleep.

*

I could hear crying coming from Addison's room. I was finally able to fall asleep only to be woken up what felt like half an hour later. I looked to my bed side table and sighed when I realized it was a little past three o'clock in the morning. I waited a few more minutes to see if she would cry herself back to sleep but it didn't seem like that was going to happen. I reached to pull the blankets off of me but stopped when my mind led me to do something else.

I rolled back over in bed and groaned, "Harry, can you get up with her?" I muttered into my pillow. I waited for an answer but there was none. I moved my lips to speak up again and looked in his direction.

"Harry-" My face fell almost immediately. In that instant my skin became frigid, my mouth hung with lips slightly parted and my eyes were as wide as they could stretch. The realization hit me that I was indeed still alone in this bed. Slowly things started to make more sense. Harry wasn't here. He hasn't been here for a long time.

Sadness crept over me the more everything sunk in. Taking in a deep breath I started to adjust myself to the reality that he wasn't here no matter how hard I wanted him to be. He was miles away from me and it would be like that longer than I needed him to be. I pulled myself to the sitting position and dangled my legs off of the bed for a split second before standing up.