Chapter 45

Sara's POV

It was later that same night and I was in no way any calmer or more settled then I was since we arrived home. I waited around in our room aimlessly until it was time for Harry and I to leave to the airport with Addison. In the meantime, Addison slept soundly beside me on the bed as her father paced back and forth in the bedroom.

"Harry why don't you come and lay down with us? Pacing around the room isn't going to make the time go by any faster. Plus your making me feel more uneasy with every step." He stopped walking to look at me but didn't make his way closer to us.

"Sorry, love. I just can't help but have a really bad feeling about all of this. I knew we should have left a long time ago but I didn't want to scare you."

"And where will that get us? We can't just never return home and avoid this bastard for the rest of our lives." I complained, trying to reason with him.

"No but at least I would know my family is safe."

I refrained from saying anything else knowing arguing about this would also not get us anywhere. I looked at my phone and sighed knowing we still had two more hours before we were scheduled to leave. I wanted to suggest us leaving early and waiting at the airport instead but I knew Harry already had a lot on his mind.

"I'm going to go and put Addison in her crib so you can get some more rest before we have to leave." Harry scooped up our sleeping daughter and in his arms and silently carried her out of the room.

Regardless of what Harry said, I knew sleep wasn't going to be an option for me until we are finally on the plane and in the air- I was simply too anxious and nervous about this entire situation. I decided my best option for the meantime was to go down into the kitchen to make a cup of tea for Harry and I because we both knew he needed to destress as much as I did. I slipped on a robe to go over my tank top and pyjama shorts, feeling a bit of a cool draft running through the house. Harry was notorious for leaving windows open during the hot summer days to help cool of the house.

I had made it to the very last step on the stairs when the house phone began to ring. I looked at the clock on the wall, wondering who was calling at such a late hour in the night. I turned the corner to enter the kitchen where I knew the closest phone would be located but stopped dead in my tracks when I caught the dark eyes of a man staring at me from across the kitchen. I opened my mouth to scream but froze at the words he told me.

"If you scream, it will be one of the last things he hears." The cold and chilling sound of his voice made me want to run away as fast as I could but my feet felt as if they were nailed to the floor.

The ringing on the phone came to a end and the entire house went silent. I could feel ever inch of my body quivering in fear. I had no inclining of the identity of the man in front of my but I had an unsettling feeling it's been the person we've been trying to catch for the last terrifying months of our lives.

Suddenly a voice coming from upstairs made me jump. "Sara who was on the phone?" Harry called from inside Addison's room. My eyes, still locked with his, watched every move he made.

He took his dirty finger and placed it to his lips, slowly shaking his head in the process. I knew that if I were to say anything at all, it could very well be the last thing I did. I knew deep inside I needed to do something and I needed to do it quickly because the last thing I wanted him to do was hurt my family. I took my hands and raised them up in front of me with my palms facing him.

"What do you want?" I talked in the quietest voice I could so he would know that I wasn't trying to talk to Harry. The side of his mouth twitched into a crooked smile and it almost seemed like the most terrifying thing he had done yet.