74 [It's Always Been You]

Description: Lewis and his girlfriend get into another argument, but what Lewis doesn't know is that the girl he's been waiting for his whole life has been right in front of him.

• •

There she goes again, yelling every curse word under the sun at my best friend of twenty-two years. Lewis had been with her for six months, six months too long if you ask me. He had fallen head over heels for her, but she didn't love him in the way he thought. Every night ended up in an argument and it made myself and the rest of our friendship group, not just annoyed but frustrated that Lewis wouldn't end things with her.

"Maybe if he wasn't so caught up in her, he'd realise the person who actually loves him has been right under his nose this whole time," Tobi said.

"Y/N, we know it upsets you too," Freya added, sitting down beside me. "You don't have to pretend you're okay with it."

"I've told him enough times but he won't listen. Hopefully, he'll learn from his mistakes," I shrugged, leaning against Tobi. He hugged me and I smiled.

Tobi was always my first call whenever Lewis would upset me. I knew he didn't intend to upset me, but it started off with Lewis forgetting to meet up with me whenever we planned to go out because he was with her.

The shouting went on for a few more minutes, then we heard heels coming down the stairs and the front door slam. Thank god she's gone.

"Same shit, different day," Josh sighed, playing on the Xbox with Simon. He yelled at the game, causing all of us to erupt into laughter at his anger.

After a few minutes, Lewis came downstairs and walked into the room where we were all hanging out. "We're done, I've finished things for good this time," he said quietly, heading to sit beside me, but I put my feet in the way so he couldn't. He shot me a confused look, and then sat on the other side of Tobi.

"You say that every time you have an argument with her Lewis," Josh told him. "As much as we love you, this is getting annoying."

"There's someone right now, desperate to wrap her arms around you, be there for you, and be the best girlfriend. But you keep going to the one who always ends up breaking your heart," Simon said.

"She's literally right under your nose and you have no idea," Tobi added.

"I highly doubt it," Lewis put his head in his hands.

I gritted my teeth together and Tobi looked down at me. "Are you okay?" He mouthed and I sat up in a normal position, instead of leaning on him.

"You boys are actually so oblivious when girls like you," Freya thought out loud.

"Who is it?" Lewis asked.

"It's me, Lewis!" I said, reaching my breaking point. Everyone looked at me with wide eyes, not expecting me to admit it almost straight away.

"What?" Lewis questioned, looking at me as I stood up.

"I'm the one in love with you. God, I've been in love with you for so long!" my voice cracked but I continued talking. "I tried to make plans with you these last six months and if we did have plans, you never showed up. You made me look like a fool, Lewis. You've been so caught up with little miss perfect that you haven't realised how much you've hurt me in the process."

I walked out of the room and went upstairs into a bathroom. I closed the door behind me and sobbed. Everything I've been keeping in for so long has finally come out into the open for everyone to hear.

• Freya's point of view •

As Y/N rushed out, everyone's eyes turned to Lewis. "No wonder why she's been so upset, you've treated her like absolute shit!" Simon yelled, no longer interested in the game.

"I didn't know, she never said anything," Lewis defended himself and I stood up.

"If she was really your best friend, you would've had enough sense to see that something was up," I exited the room and followed Y/N upstairs. As I reached the bathroom she had locked herself into, I heard her sobbing, my heart breaking at the sound.

"Y/N?" I called, knocking on the door softly. I heard the lock on the door click and Y/N stood there, tear stains painted on her face. "Come here," I sighed as I pulled her in for a hug.

"I feel so stupid, Frey. Lewis obviously put me in the friend zone the day he met me."

"You don't know that Y/N," I comforted her. We sat on the bathroom and she just sobbed into my shirt. I held my best friend in my arms, having never seen her so broken before.

Hearing another knock on the bathroom door, Y/N and I both looked up at the door from where we sat on the floor. "I'll get it," I offered.

I stood up and opened the door, seeing Lewis stood there. Closing the door behind me, I stood in front of it as I waited for Lewis to speak.

"I messed up Frey, but please let me speak to her," Lewis pleaded.

"Freya, it's okay. I'll be okay," I heard Y/N say from behind me.

"Okay, I'll be downstairs if you need me," I told Y/N before leaving the two to talk.

• your point of view •

"Y/N, I'm sorry. I didn't know you felt that way about me," Lewis said. We sat at the top of the marble staircase

"It's whatever, Lewis. It's just a silly little crush," I laughed nervously. That was a lie.

"Y/N, I've known you too long to know when you're lying. Look," Lewis began but I cut him off.

"You don't need to tell me, Lewis. I've heard it all before, the 'I love you but not in that way' bullshit. I'd prefer it if you didn't tell me because let's face it, I'm already hurt enough," I spoke nonsense, and I wasn't even making sense of what I was saying. Lewis put his hand over my mouth to stop me from talking.

"You haven't let me finish. I love you too and in the same way you do," Lewis took his hand away from my mouth and grabbed my hands in his. "It's always been you, I just never realised it because I had a feeling in the back of my mind that we were just friends. What you said today made me realise that."

"So what now then?" I asked.

"I'd like to take you on a date," Lewis stated.

"And I'd like to accept," I grinned, mimicking him.