51 [Mute]

51 [Mute]
Description: You've been mute since you were fourteen and hate any type of social interaction. So when your close friend Talia introduces you to her friends, you get nervous but that nervousness soon fades when you meet Lewis.
Author's Note: I just want to clarify a few things before I start the imagine: the muteness used in this is known as selective mutism, which means the person has chosen to be mute. The reader (Y/N) will end up speaking which I don't think happens in real life cases of being mute. Sorry if that offends anyone!

• • •

Your best friend Talia has always outshone you due to her amazing confidence and because of that, she has an amazing group of friends that you haven't yet met. On the other hand, you are nowhere close to being confident. You're terrible in social situations and, due to something that happened when you were fourteen, have chosen to be mute. You sometimes speak to Talia, her sister Angèle and her parents because you feel a lot more confident around them.

You and Talia had been friends since year seven and you always saw her as the older sister you never had. Talia's family was practically your second family, seeing as you lived with them. Your dad was nowhere to be found and your mum disappeared when you were fifteen, so Talia's parents gladly took you in.

"Y/N, are you ready?" Talia asked.

The two of you were going out and meeting her friends. You haven't met them due to being mute and you didn't want to come across rude. Talia came into your room to find you sitting on your bed and looking into your hands.

"I'm scared," you whispered, your voice hoarse.

"It'll be fine," Talia told you. "I've let them know that you're mute and it'll take you a while to get used to them."

You sighed, getting up.

"I'll be right there with you," Talia added as you walked to her car.

You smiled in appreciation as you got in and put your seat belt on. As Talia began driving, you looked out of the window, daydreaming.

• • •

Two hours was all it took for you to fit into Talia's friendship group. They made you feel welcome and accepted that you had selective mutism. You hadn't met all of her friends, just the ones that were at the Sidemen house. The ones that were at the house you had become close with, especially Gee and Freya.

As the four of you were outside talking, Josh, Simon, JJ and another guy you hadn't seen came out of the house. "We're going to play football, wanna play?"

You typed on your app, the monotone voice reading it out. "I love football, I'd love to play!"

The guy you didn't know looked at you weirdly, confused as to why you used an app to speak. You felt uncomfortable and immediately looked down, your shoes suddenly becoming very interesting.

"Lewis, she's mute," Freya said.

"Oh shit, sorry," he said, holding his hand out for you to shake. "I'm Lewis."

You shook his hand, introducing yourself on the app.

"Now introductions are out of the way, let's play football. Boys against girls?" Josh suggested.

"Hell yeah!" You typed into your phone, the other girls agreeing.

• • •

It was currently 4-4 and the first one to five was the winner. You had hold of the ball, missing all the tackles the boys tried to do, easily gliding through them. Lewis tried to tackle you but you slid the ball through his legs, immediately scoring.

You cheered, the girls running over to hug you. "I can't believe you won that for us!"

"You know I love football, T!" You said to Talia, everyone looking at you in shock. You had just spoken for the first time in front of people. It had been seven years since you last spoke in front of people.

"Babe, you just spoke!" Talia's hands flew over her mouth in shock, her eyes filling up with tears. Of course, they were tears of happiness.

After the happiness had died down, Simon, Talia, Freya, Josh, yourself and Lewis decided to get some food. Gee was going to see her boyfriend Chip and JJ was training for an upcoming boxing match.

The six of you decided to get in Simon's Tesla as it was the only car that could fit all of you. As Simon drove, everyone had their own conversations, leaving you and Lewis to talk.

"I know we only just met but I'm proud of you for speaking. It must've taken a lot of courage," Lewis grinned.

"I did it without thinking about it. I think it happened because everyone made me feel so comfortable and I was happy that I showed that girls are clearly better!" You teased.

• • •

Once you arrived back at The Sidemen House, you and Talia left almost immediately but before you did, Lewis pulled you to the side.

"I don't know if this is too soon, but can I have your number?" He asked.

Briefly, you looked down, your hair falling over your face. "Sure," you smiled as you swapped phones. The two of you put your contacts in each other's phone, not realising that Freya, Josh, Simon and Talia were looking at the two of you.

"Thanks," Lewis grinned. "I'll hopefully see you again soon."

"I hope so, too." You turned away and walked over to where you saw Talia talking to Simon. "I'm ready to go."

"I'll see you tomorrow," Talia smiled at Simon before they embraced in a hug.

You got into Talia's car and as she drove off, you began thinking about everything that had happened today: you spoke for the first time in seven years and met some amazing friends that made you feel comfortable, happy and confident.

"So you and Lewis, eh?" Talia teased.

"What about us?" You asked, oblivious.

"Don't play dumb, Y/N," Talia laughed. "I saw you flirting while we were waiting for our food and I saw you two swapping numbers before we left, too."

"We're just getting to know each other," you insisted.

"That's what they all say. I'm not complaining, you and Lewis will be cute together and I know he's a good guy, too."

You smiled at Talia, before looking out of the window and going back into dreamland...