New Year's Eve | Awsten

You're spending New Year's Eve with your crush...

You've known him for several months. In the beginning, you were just friends. As a matter of fact, you had a crush on someone else. But slowly but surely, the other person left your mind and he entered instead. He was there when you needed him the most. He pulled you out of the rut you were stuck in. He brightened your life like nobody else could.

And now he lives inside your mind, right beside your favorite songs.

You're waiting for him to arrive at your place when you hear your phone make a noise. You check it to see a text from him.

I'll be there in five minutes

That's another thing you like about him. He lets you know what he's doing—especially when you're about to meet.

You send him a quick response:

Can't wait to see you

He responds with a heart. You love when he sends you hearts.

After five minutes, there's a knock on your door, and you go over to answer it. You open the door to see Awsten standing there with a grin on his face.

"Hey. I missed you," he says, coming inside as you close the door behind him.

"I missed you, too," you reply, and he grins.

"So what do you have planned?" he questions.

"I was thinking we could watch some movies until midnight," you respond, leading him into the living room.

"Sounds nice," he says, sitting down on the couch and leaning back. You're tempted to sit in his lap, but you refrain. Instead, you go over to the table to grab the remote. Turning on the TV, you sit beside him. He immediately puts an arm around you, and you lean into his side. He smells good like he always does. You love his scent; you would live within it forever if you could.

"What do you want to watch?" you ask, switching your TV over to Netflix.

"Are we gonna Netflix and chill?"

You nearly snort. "Um no."

"That's too bad," he says, pretending to be disappointed.

You roll your eyes playfully and scroll through the movies.

"We should see that," he says after a moment, pointing to the screen.

"Groundhog Day?" you question, and he giggles.

"What? It's a good movie."

"I agree, but that's what you want to watch?" you ask, and he nods.

"Anything else and I will explode," he assures you. You chuckle slightly and press play.

You spend the next two hours watching Groundhog Day. Sometimes he'll take your hand, interlacing your fingers. Sometimes he'll grab your whole arm and hold it close to his chest. Sometimes he'll pull you closer into him. No matter what he does, the two of you are close, and you love it.

You enjoy the movie, glancing to him every so often. You can feel him looking at you, but you pretend not to notice.

When the movie ends, you move to stand up. Only as soon as you do, he grabs your waist from behind and pulls you into his lap. You let out a yelp in surprise, and he giggles by your ear.

"Awsten, I swear to god," you groan, but he just nuzzles your neck with his face. His facial hair tickles your skin, and you stifle a laugh.

"I like being close to you," he replies.

You feel your cheeks warm, and you put your hands over his. You're acutely aware of his arms around your middle and his hands pressing into your waist.

His face is so close to yours that you could just turn your face and press your lips to his. But you refrain. You want that to be later.

"Do you want to make cookies?" you question, and he giggles.

"You bet I do."

So that's what you do. You bake cookies with him, and of course, you make a fucking mess. But it doesn't really matter. You just love being with him. Spending time with him is the most amazing thing in the world.

When you finally put the cookies in the oven, you have to start cleaning up. It's not a fun activity, but with him, of course it's fun.

"What do you want to do next year?" he questions at one point.

"I don't know."

"Any goals?"

"Be a better person," you respond.

"You're already amazing," he says.

"You more," you respond, and he smiles.

"Wait," he says, reaching into his pocket. He checks his phone. "Bitch, it's almost midnight already."

"Really?" you ask, your heart starting to beat faster.

"Really."

"How many more seconds?" you question.

"Uhhh," he says, looking to his phone. "Thirty seconds."

"I need to tell you something," you say, and he looks into your eyes.

"What?"

"I love you."

"I love you, too," he replies without missing a beat. He reaches forward, touching your face. "I want to kiss you," he murmurs.

"Do it," you respond, your eyes flickering to his lips.

You lean in at the same moment, and your lips meet. He tastes of chocolate because he was eating the chocolate chips right out of the bag. His lips are soft and slightly chapped, but you don't mind. You move a hand to his neck, and you feel him shiver. Your heart starts to beat faster.

Your lips fit together like pieces of a puzzle, and you feel as though the two of you were made to be together. Maybe you were.

And with that, you enter the new year.

You got your New Year's kiss after all. And a boyfriend, too.

A/N

ugh goals