73 [New Year's Kiss]

Start from the beginning

"You're overreacting, Frey," I rolled my eyes.

"Oh no, come on. You and Lewis would be adorable together!" Talia clapped her hands.

"I think you guys are forgetting what Josh said at the beginning when he let me stay here," I reminded them. "He said I'm not allowed to date any of his friends."

"You're such a goody-two-shoes, Y/N," Y/B/F/N said. "You can date whoever you want, you don't have to live by Josh's rules all the time."

"He puts a roof over my head, Y/B/F/N. I'm not going to disobey him for my own good. I can find a boyfriend another way," I shrugged, downing my drink before refilling it.

"Listen, Y/N, I know Josh almost as well as you do. He won't kick you out just because you dated one of his friends and if he did, you could stay with me," Freya told me before Y/B/F/N gasped.

"Lewis can be your kiss at midnight!"

"What? You're mental, Y/B/F/N/N," I replied, nearly choking on my drink. "Lewis and I just met after like, what, five years?"

"You're twenty-three, Y/N. Everyone our age is either getting into relationships, already in relationships and some are even getting married," Y/B/F/N replied.

"You're not in one?" I retorted.

"Yeah, but that's me. You know I can't keep a guy for more than three months because I get bored," she laughed.

"Let's move on from my love life and enjoy the last two hours of 2018!" I told the girls. We all walked over to where everyone had gathered to dance and danced to the top songs of 2018.

• • •

After an hour of dancing, I decided to go outside to cool down. I honestly felt like I had done a workout when in reality I had just danced for an hour. As soon as I opened the doors, the coolness hit my skin and I felt like I could finally breathe. I sat on the wall, letting my thoughts take over.

"Hey, Y/N/N," I looked up to see Lewis walking towards me. "Why are you out here on your own?"

"I needed to get some air before the countdown starts," I told him. "Plus I've just spent an hour dancing and I'm feeling like I've just done an intense workout."

He sat down next to me. "You know, I didn't think it was you when you came over to me and the guys."

"Why? I don't think I've changed that much since you last saw me."

"Are you kidding? You've definitely had a glow up," Lewis told me.

"Thanks, so have you."

"I haven't changed that much."

"You haven't changed a lot but you've definitely gotten more attractive," I accidentally said out loud. I instantly covered my hand over my mouth. "I didn't mean to say that–"

Lewis shook his head and laughed. "I could say the same for you, Y/N."

"Really?" I questioned. "I thought you would have just seen me as Josh's little sister."

"Seeing as it's coming up to New Year, I'm just going to come out and say it," Lewis said.

"Say what?"

"Y/N, I've had a crush on you since I met you when I went over to Josh's for the first time when you were fourteen. I never said anything because I thought you just saw me as Josh's geeky friend."

"You're anything but geeky Lewis," I replied, but before I could say anything everyone came outside. "Looks like the countdown is about to start."

Lewis and I both stood up until Y/B/F/N came over to us. "Hey, Lewis," she smiled. "Y/N, can I talk to you quickly?"

I looked at Lewis and he nodded. "Go ahead," he smiled.

I followed Y/B/F/N over to where the girls stood. "Right, we have a plan!"

"A plan for what?" I asked.

"To get you and Lewis to be each other's New Years kiss," Gee whispered so Josh couldn't hear and I rolled my eyes. "Trust us, it's going to work!"

"Fine, what is it?" I asked.

"So a couple of seconds before midnight, Freya is going to kiss Josh to take his eyes off you, then boom, you get your first New Years kiss!" Y/B/F/N said.

"Josh is in charge of the fireworks, so how's that going to work?" I questioned, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Change of plan, we've told Tobi about the plan so he and Matt are going to do the fireworks," Freya smiled, looking proud of the plan.

"Alright fine," I shrugged, walking back over to where Lewis stood, chatting with Tobi. "What's up boys?"

"Hi Y/N. I've got to help Matt get the fireworks ready, so I'll see you later," Tobi winked before he turned to Lewis. "You better do it, Redman, otherwise someone else will get in there before you."

Tobi walked off to help Matt with the fireworks. "What was Tobi talking about?" I asked.

"Something about finding a midnight's kiss," Lewis shrugged. "Speaking of... Do you by any chance have one, yet?"

"Nope, I've never had one," I told him.

"Well, do you wanna be mine tonight?" Lewis asked.

"I'd like that," I nodded, smiling.

I saw Freya walking over to Josh, she pulled him out of eyesight from where Lewis and I stood. She turned her head towards me and put her thumbs up, signalling that the plan was in action. As a cold breeze blew past us, I shivered and regretted not wearing long sleeves.

"Ten..." Everyone started counting down and the nerves immediately kicked in. "Nine... eight... seven... six... five..."

As everyone called out five seconds to go, Lewis pulled my waist closer to him, instantly warming me up. I looked down and when everyone called out one, Lewis pulled my head up to look at him. He pressed his lips to mine and my eyes fluttered closed as I kissed back.

What a start to the New Year.