Chapter 23

Tuesday December 4, 2018

4:43pm

School had been over and Nia was home sitting next to Jameer watching Neo Yokio.

"Bitch what the fuck is this?". Jameer questioned.

"Shh". Nia shushed her, eyes locked on the tv.

Before Jameer could continue, Nia's door bell rang.

"Who is it?". Jameer questioned as she walked to the door.

No one answered she looked out the window before sucking her teeth and opening the door to reveal Anaya.

"Nia what is she doing here?". Anaya sized Jameer.

"Bitch what is you doing here? It's like you using Nia as a fucking security blanket or some shit. She not gon be able to shield yo ass from the truth all ya fucking life grow the fuck up and handle the grown woman consequences to yo grown woman actions". Jameer spat.

"Yo! Both of y'all calm the fuck down. Remember when we was all best friends and noting could tear us apart? Now, y'all gon let a petty argument tear us apart, for what?". Nia paused her show.

"Yeah you right on one part. We was best friends". Jameer folded her arms.

"Wow. So I take the spotlight off you for one minute and now you wanna be pissed off and not be friends no more. That's just like yo attention seeking ass". Anaya exclaimed.

"My attention seeking ass? Bitch, you the one who disappeared for a week just so you could have everybody looking for you". Jameer accused.

"You know what, I really don't have time to argue wit chu Jameer. I came here to talk to Nia". Anaya looked to Nia.

"I'm not talking about shit until the both of y'all sit down and talk this shit out. Y'all used to be so close and I wanted that wit each of y'all but if this the way to get it I'on want it". Nia shook her head.

"Nia we all close". Anaya tried to reassure her.

"Nah, y'all had a closer bond than what y'all had with me and to tell you the truth I was jealous at the beginning but then y'all started letting me in on them inside jokes and them secrets. But if y'all ain't gon be friends I don't want to be caught in the middle because I refuse to choose". Nia let out.

Jameer and Anaya looked to each other.

"I'm sorry". Anaya apologized.

"Me too". Jameer agreed.

They hugged each other and then Nia joined them.

"Aww I got my bitches back". Nia giggled.

"Shut cho sentimental ass up". Anaya rolled her eyes.

"Bitch I'm tryna have a moment". Nia flipped her the bird.

The three went into the living room and finished watching Neo Yokio.

*

9:52pm

The girls were all asleep on the couch, until Nia's Mom woke them up.

"Girls!". She raised her voice slightly.

"What happened Ma?". Nia questioned.

"They got him. They found Derrick". Nia's Mom informed them.

Jameer and Nia looked to Anaya who looked like she was finally at peace.

"You ok?". Jameer asked Anaya.

"I'm fine. I'm just glad this is over". Anaya sighed.

Nia and Jameer got up pulling Anaya into a hug.

"Here y'all go wit this sentimental stuff". Anaya groaned.

"Shut up, we tryna love on you". Jameer rolled her eyes.

Jameer and Anaya went home.

"See y'all tomorrow". Nia called after them.

She went upstairs and opened her room door, Trey sitting on her bed.

"What the fuck? How did you get in here?". Nia asked.

"Yo window was unlocked". He replied not looking at her.

"What's wrong babe?". Nia sat next him.

"My Pops just told me where my Mom is". He replied.

"Where is she?". Nia was nervous.

"She lives in Florida. And she didn't leave me, he took me away from her. Dis is my missing picture". He pulled out his phone showing a baby version of Trey.

Nia was shocked.

"I grew up hating my Momma for no damn reason cause this nigga wanna lie to me on some bullshit". Trey spat.

Nia knew all she could do right now was listen to Trey.

"I had a bad childhood man, all cause this nigga wanna spite my Mom. That's fucked up". Trey felt the back of his eyes stinging.

"Baby, if you need to, you can cry in front of me, I'm not gonna look at chu any other way". Nia reassured him.

He laid his head on Nia's lap, she could feel warm tears hitting her thighs.

She rubbed his back showing him she was here for him.

"This man robbed me of having so much man". He cried.

Nia felt tears come to her eyes too, she felt so much hurt for Trey.

"Its like I can't catch a fucking break wit this man. Every time I turn around he talking shit to me about me or I'm fighting his drunk ass off. I'm sick of this shit". He spat standing up.

Nia just stood up and pulled Trey in her arms.

"Its ok baby, we gon figure this out together". Nia whispered to him.

Nia didn't know what to do, but she knew what she had to do.