Chapter 15

4:00pm

Nia's Mom was now pulling up in the driveway. Nia had turned out all the lights and was gonna suprise her Mom. She heard the key enter the lock and positioned herself. The door opened and Nia and Jameer flicked the lights on.

"Suprise!". Nia, Jameer, and Anaya cheered.

Nia's Mom covered her face as tears welled up in her eyes.

"Aww Momma". Jameer hugged Mrs. Williamson.

"Thank you girls really. I'm just not in the mood to celebrate". She wiped her eyes.

"Ma? What's going on?". Nia pulled her Mom to the dining room table.

"You want us to leave?". Anaya asked.

"No. Stay. Please". Nia pleaded.

The girls sat on the other side of the table.

"Ma, why you so sad". Nia handed her a napkin.

"Your Father and I have been arguing for a couple of months. And I thought we'd get past it. We've had some disagreements on how you should be raised and well, he asked for a divorce. He moved his things out this morning and got a townhouse downtown. Per an agreement we made, you can spend the weekends with him". Nia's Mom revealed.

Anaya and Jameer were so shocked, they wished they had left.

Nia felt a lump in her throat. But she put a smile on her face.

"It's gonna be ok Mom. Just go lay down". Nia stood up pulling her Mom up with her.

She walked her to her room and helped her get in bed.

Nia walked back into the dining room and began putting things away.

"Nia? Is you good?". Anaya asked.

"I'm good". Nia lied.

The girls began to help Nia put things away.

"Nia you want us to stay?". Jameer asked.

"Y'all don't have to. I'm fine". Nia lied again.

"Ok. We gonna leave. Call us if you need anything". Jameer and Anaya walked out the house.

Nia slowly walked upstairs. She took a shower and tried to fight the tears welling in her eyes. By the time she got out, tears we're slipping down her cheeks. She put on pajamas and was about to get in bed when she heard clinking at her window. She looked out and Trey was throwing pebbles.

She opened her window and he climbed up.

"Jameer and Anaya called and I came as soon as I heard. You ok shawty?". Trey wiped a tear from her face using her thumb.

"I'm fine". Nia lied again.

"You ain't gotta lie to me". Trey looked her in the eye.

Nia couldn't help but break down under his gaze. He pulled her into a hug stroking her hair.

"It's gon be alright". He whispered to her.

He rocked them back and forth.

Nia pulled away.

"Can you stay with me? Please?". She pleaded.

"Yeah. Of course, I ain't leaving you like this". He took off his hoodie.

He turned out the lights and locked the door, Nia got in bed and he got in with her, holding her close and tight.

Nia just cried into his chest until she fell asleep.