Chapter 16 - the start of something

Melissa

I walk through the house right behind Toni, funny enough, the size of this place seems to have triplicated.

"Cristiano is training at the moment, I'll call Andreia to show you where his room is."

"There's no need Toni, I can do that." I glance up at the stairs and find the man who ran into me a few weeks ago when I was trying to get out of here. He has this radiant smile on his face, striding towards me.

"As you wish, sir." Toni withdraws from the room leaving us alone.

"Here for a visit miss...?" He stops and I notice he was waiting for me to complete.

"Melissa, no, I actually started working here today."

"Oh, that's perfect! I mean..."He coughs. "Good, what are you going to do?"

"I'm going to work in the laundry room, sorry, but you are?"

"Oh, my bad, my name is Ricardo, I'm Cristiano's friend." He has a different accent, I like it. I assume he's not from here.

"It's a pleasure, Ricardo. Do I have to call you sir too, or it's only for the owner of the house?" When I realised what I had actually just asked, it was too late. What kind of question is that?

"No, please, just Ricardo." He chuckles. "I feel very old being called sir."

"Okay." I smile.

"You have a beautiful smile Melissa. Where did you want to go again?" I feel my cheeks burn from embarrassment.

"To see Junior, his room?"

"Right, it's on this floor, I'll take you there, I'm a little late though, I have to pick up my brother from the airport." He says and starts to walk, so I follow behind.

"I don't want to slow you down."

"He can wait, while we are at it, we are having a party here in a few days, you're my guest." A party? At my bosses house? Don't even think about it Melissa.

"I don't think it would be very appropriate, I work here now, I just told you, besides, I can't leave my sister alone."

"Your sister... is your sister also living here?" I nod. "Well then, simple, she's also invited."

"I work here..."

"Nonsense, it's my party, well partially, I can invite whoever I want, and I would very much like to invite you"

"I don't know.. I ..."

"If you don't like it, you can always leave, I mean, you live here and don't worry, Toni and Marta were also invited."

"I'll think about it, but I won't promise anything" I don't think it would be bad, I've never been to a party. Except when I was a kid, does that count?

"At least it's not a no ... well we're here." He stops at a white wooden door. "I'll just confirm the date and I'll then let you know."

"Okay, and thank you again."

"Don't worry about it." He winks, and soon disappears into the corridors.

I'm not sure whether I should knock, or simply go straight in. Is he sleeping? I hear faint noises inside, which proves he's awake. I decide to just enter. I open the door slowly and reluctantly, taking a good look at the room, it's huge as expected. There were toys scattered all over the floor.

However, no sign of Junior, I walk further into the room and it really seems that he isn't here. Strange, I could swear I heard someone.

"I don't want to have lunch today Andreia, leave me alone." I hear his voice which immediately made me smile, I follow the voice and finally spot him.

He's hiding behind the bed. Completely huddled on the floor. His father was right, this is not the same boy who spent all those days with me.

"Please tell Daddy I've had lunch, he's going to take me to see that woman when he gets here, and I don't want to go, I'm not hungry." He whimpers. Kneeling down beside him, I gently fake a cough, he has his back to me and doesn't turn around.

"Are you sure? I can smell the food from here, and it smells delicious." As soon as I say that, he gets up from the floor quicker than a cat, he stares at me and widens his eyes.

"Mel!" The distance between us quickly disappeared and he hugged me tight. I return it with just the same intensity.

"I missed you so much, I couldn't wait any longer, I had to see you." He remains quiet. I can hear small sobs and I realise that he's crying.

I distance myself a little and manage to take a look at his teary eyes "Hey, why are you crying, I thought you would be happy to see me?"

"I am!" He shouts desperately. "I missed you so much."

"Me too." He's a little thinner than from what I remember, god, these 3 weeks really did a lot of damage. "How are you?"

"I'm okay.. I got my memory back!" He wipes the tears from his cheek with the back of his hands. "I remember everything." I smile at his own attempt of a smile.

"Really? That's wonderful!"

"Yes, I have a father too! You saw him that day, remember?"

"Yes, I've met him. He seems to like you alot."

"Yeah, and I really like him, he doesn't have much time for me, but he's nice."

"He needs to work Junior, so he can provide you with food, clothes and all of these toys. The important thing is that he's very cool isn't he?"

"Yes he's incredible!"

"Who's incredible Junior?"- I look at the door, and what I see, makes me relatively confused, but in some way makes my heart melt. What in the world was my sister doing in my boss's arms? The eyes that met mine were as glossy and brown as a beetle. Cristiano holds my gaze. After a few seconds he eventually looks down at Junior.

"Claryyyy you're here too?" He carefully places my sister on the foor, and they run into each others embrace.

"Mel is it true, are we really going to live here?"

"Yes princess it's true."

Junior glances at his father for approval, and as he nods. Junior lets out a loud squeal startling me but his father interrupts him.

"However, Andreia told me that somebody doesn't want to eat, so I came personally to call you. You haven't eaten anything today Junior."

"I know..."

"So?"

"I will go if they come aswell" He grabs my hand.

"We can't sweetheart."

"Why? You live here now, right daddy." He looks at his father for reinsurance.

"I can't force them Junior."

"Please." He continues to beg.

"Baby I've got work to do." Okay, I don't. But it's my first day working here, I can't be seen having lunch at my boss's table, that's despicable. The other employees will probably think I have some special treatment or something.

"Can Clary come?" I look at Cristiano in attempt to get help.

"I don't think that's very adequate..." I mumble.

"It's okay Melissa, I will take care of her, go do your chores, she can come with us to the psychologist, maybe this way Junior won't spent the entire car ride complaining, wanting to go back." I nod. I guess I have no choice but to give in.

After making my sister promise she would behave, they left, and I made my way back to my provisional room.