Chapter 3 - unlucky

Melissa

As soon as I managed to recover my senses, the pain began to disappear, so I finally gained up the courage to look up to face the man that I had literally just drenched.

My eyes froze as soon as our eyes met. His eyes were already focused on me. His eyes semi closed and compressed with an abnormal anger or something even worse narrowed into slits.

"I am so so sorry, it was an accid..." I start. At least I try to.

"Omg Sir, we are so sorry." Alicia cuts me off "Get out of here, you incompetent, and take all of those things with you." She addresses me, I ignore her offensive words, and start to gather the other things I dropped, not daring to look up. I feel so humiliated.

Why do I have to be this unlucky?

"How dare you hire such incompetent workers in my Shop?" the man firmly says, his deep voice sending shivers down my spine. "You! Look at me!" He growls, showcasing all of the anger he was feeling. I assumed it was directed to me, therefore I reluctantly lifted up my gaze.

"I don't want to see you in front of me ever again. Leave those things on the floor and get out of here right now!" He casts all of his displeasure into that one sentence.

Now to be fair, his clothes weren't even that wet, a hair dryer would have dried it all in a few minutes.

"But, I..." I began, but then regretted it right away, there's no point. "I mean, yes sir."

I got up as fast as I could and left. My eyesight is still a little blurry. But I do my best to find my way.

"I'm not staying here any minute longer. Send all of the paperwork to my house and maybe try to hire more competent people next time." I hear after collecting my belongings from the room. I hold back the tears as much as I can.

As soon as I exit the shop it felt like I had just lifted 50 pounds of weight off my chest. My eyes started to burn, the tears begging to come out.

I looked behind me and realised he was walking towards the exit staring directly at me. So I ran.

I reached a street alley, and leaned against the wall, letting my tears overwhelm me. I cry for a few minutes, trying to take this frustration out of my chest. I can't believe I lost yet another job, it took me almost 6 months to get it.

Okay. Melissa calm down. Breathe slowly. I try to remember past good memories and it calms me down slightly. 'It's going to be okay' I repeat to myself in a failed attempt to motivate me.

The walk back home was longer than I hoped, but I finally arrived.

Thankfully, I didn't end up bumping into Miss Gloria again. At least that.
I open the front door to find it completely empty and dead silent. My sister is in school. Good, I don't want her to see me like this.

I head straight to my room, laying down on my bed, trying to figure out what I will do now. I need to find a job and quickly. But I know it won't be easy. Without realising, I was crying again.

But now, I was crying over everything, the job I lost, the humiliations I had to endure, but above all, I start crying from the anger I felt towards my mother for leaving me completely alone and venerable in this place.

Only after an hour passed, I stopped my convulsive crying and splashed some water on my face in the bathroom sink, attempting to wash away my tears.

I have no time to feel sorry for myself. It's not fair to Mom, or to my sister who has nothing to do with my problems. And most importantly it's not fair to me...

Miss Barbara will arrive here any moment with Clary. Therefore I start to prepare Clary's lunch. I try to push away the memories from what that happened earlier on today, but it just keeps coming back, no matter what.

His intimidating stare just gazing me down. I would be lying if I said I didn't find him attractive. But it all fades away when it comes to his personality. I try to remember where I might have seen him before, but I can't seem to come to any conclusion so I decide to just drop it.

"Mel, sweetie, I thought you were only going to arrive at seven." Suddenly Miss Barbara walks in the room, with Clary following her. I was so caught up in my preoccupations that I didn't even notice their arrival.

"Oh Miss Barbara, Clary can you go play in your bedroom?" I ask Clary, she's a bit hesitant at first but she doesn't argue. And soon leaves the kitchen humming to some peppa pig song.

Miss Barbara walks up to me, and takes my face in her hands

"Melissa, I've known you for years, I know when something is wrong, now spill it." Her words caught me by surprise and I didn't even bother to hold back the tears, she immediately pulls me into a hug. "Hey it's okay, please tell me what happened, I know that I'm an old lady, but I'm a great listener and I promise i'm an expert at giving advice." She smiles which subsequently makes me smile.

"Something happened at work, and... I got fired." I mutter.

"What? What happened?" She questions in disbelief, even I can't believe I got fired after only a week.

"I swear it wasn't my fault, It was an accident." I eventually narrated her the whole story without leaving any detail out.

"Melissa, I told you to eat breakfast, you barely eat, this can bring you problems in the future, listen to what I'm saying." She scolds me. "But are you going to try and find a new job?" I nod.

"I know it will be hard, but I need to find one as soon as possible, the hospital bills keep on coming, this is just too much." I pull my hair in frustration. "I need to go and visit my mum tomorrow night, can I please leave Clary at your house for a couple of hours?" I beg.

"Mommy? I want to see mommy" Damn it. Clary appears hearing part of our conversation.

"Princess, next time, I promise."

"But I miss mommy." It breaks my heart seeing her like this. She pouts looking down.

"I know beautiful, it's hard for me too, but I promise that next time I will take you with me, pinky swear." It takes some time, but she finally raises her tiny finger sealing it with mine. "Besides, you will have plenty of fun with Miss Barbara, right?" I glance at her for reassurance. She smiles nodding.

"Okay, but now I think that there's a little girl needing a shower." Miss Barbara announces causing Clary to playfully smile before sprinting to the bathroom. I sigh in relief.