Chapter 8 - magazine

Melissa

Two days have gone by since I got the new job. The first day was great. I arrived at the petshop and my boss ran through how things worked out in there. I wouldn't have to worry about anything inside the shop apart from taking care of the dogs obviously.

I would only have to put the leash on the dog and take him to the park for about 40 minutes. It's better than I had first imagined.

Cristiano is still with me, I mean, we still haven't found his family.

I know that this is clearly not the right thing to do, I should just take him to a police station, but I just wanted to spend some time with him. But I guess this has already gone too far. What am I thinking. Im being selfish.

Once I have time, I will head straight to the police station.
It was an incredible day yesterday, I had to go out to solve some things, since clary was in school, only Cristiano came with me, he dragged me to a local fair that was taking place near our house, we actually had a lot of fun.

We've become very attached to each other these days that we spent together, he only trusts me, my sister and Miss Barbara. But he has a family, this is wrong, They must be looking for him.

Besides I can't take care of him, it's hard enough to take care of Clary by myself.
I need to think about him, and I need to stop being selfish.

It's now one o'clock in the afternoon and my shift starts in 40 minutes. I'm ready, I just need to call Cristiano and go downstairs and leave him with Barbara, Clary was already in school.

"Hey, let's go, my bus, gets here in 15 minutes." He takes his eyes off the drawing he were making, and began to put the pencils together, a minute later he was already by my side.

"Let's go, Miss Barbara said she was going to teach me how to make those cookies with whipped cream on top." Cristiano points out excitedly.

"They're delicious, you have to try it." He says as he jumps trying to avoid stepping on the tile lines. I thought I was the only one who did it as a kid, but I admit, that sometimes even now I still get caught jumping a few of them on the street.

"Next time you do them, I promise that I will try it." I say and he smiles satisfied.

We went down the stairs quickly and soon we arrived at her apartment, since she always leaves the door unlocked during the mornings, I immediately opened the door.

Fiding Barbara sitting on the couch and as soon as she sees us she gets up and approaches us.

"Melissa, sweetie, I really wanted to stay with Cristiano today, but I have to go to the hospital to see my sister, she just had a surgery, it was a simple procedure, but she doesn't have someone to stay with her while she's in the hospital. I'm really sorry, honey."

"It's okay, don't worry about us, you're already doing too much for us. I will just take Cristiano with me today. My boss doesn't usually go there on Fridays. We'll find a way. Now go, your sister needs you!"

"I'm really sorry, thank you for understanding." I nod sympathetically.
She leaves, and I turn to Cristiano.

"Well It looks like you're going to have to come with me today little boy."

"No problem." His little eyes sparkle, and that only serves to make me more worried.

On my second day of employment I'm already bringing a child with me. I'm seriously praying my boss won't indeed go there today. But besides, I spend way more time in the park than inside the actual petshop.

"Okay, but I need you to promise me a few things."

"I'm going to behave" He smiles. I squeeze his cheek.