Chapter 11 - fate has a sense of humor

Melissa

"Close the door and sit down." He practically orders me. Who does he think he is? Just because he's the kid's father doesn't give him the right to talk to me like that.

But since I don't want to argue and simply leave this place as soon as possible, I do as he says "Melissa, right?"

"Yes, that's right." I'm looking down at my hands, but when I see that I have no reason to do so, I look up to face him.

And when my eyes meet him, I freeze, just like my breathing.

I was so focused on the little kids departure that I didn't even notice his father is no one other than Cristiano Ronaldo, the same Cristiano Ronaldo who kicked me out of his stupid shop.

I was never the one to hold grudges on anyone, when I quarrel with someone, I usually talk to that person on the next day as if nothing ever happened or we simply talk it out.

But right now, sitting here in front of this man, something inside me boils up. He caused a lot of damage in my life by firing me. Okay, maybe pouring water on him was not a very pleasant thing, but come on, firing was totally unnecessary.

I've come to the conclusion that the universe probably hates me, it has to, because this is absolutely ridiculous. Nothing against the kid, But his father... His father is just another arrogant, narcissistic man who thinks he's better than everyone else just because of his wealth status. And one thing for sure, my only desire is to stay as far away from them as possible.

"How did you find my son?"- He takes me out of my thoughts and when I notice, I'm bluntly staring at him with no fear.

"He was drowning in a river near where I live, I helped him out of the water and took care of him."- I tell the truth.

"Why did you take so long to find me."- I frown.

"What do you mean, how was I supposed to know you were his father?"- The question came out a bit suddenly. Thus I surely did not care.

"It wouldn't be too hard, my son's face is all over the Internet."- I sigh.

"But I had no idea who you were."- I take a deep breath "Look, I brought your son back, can I go now?"

"Okay let's just get this over with."- He opens a drawer on his desk, taking out what I suppose is a checkbook, I watch as he writes something on the top paper and ends it with a signed signature, he rips the check from the rest and puts it in front of me.

"What is this?"- I ask, even though I had a slight idea.

"A reward."

I pick up the check bringing it closer to my eyes, my heart stops beating, THIRTY THOUSAND EUROS, this man is giving me thirty thousand euros, for simply bringing his child back. Which is what any decent human being should do.

This amount of money probably means nothing to him, but to me, this would literally save me. But sadly I know I can't take this. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night, this is too much for simply doing the right thing.

"I....I.. can't accept this."- I return the check, he doesn't seem confused, he continues to stare at me, I would be lying if I said I didn't feel intimidated by him. But I hope I'm doing a good job hiding it.

"Look let's save time, and just take the money, and if the amount is not enough just say it, I really don't have time for this, I know you brought my son, but how can I be sure you aren't the one to blame for his memory loss?"- I look at him outraged. Not believing what I was hearing.

He actually thinks that the problem here is the amount of the money he's giving me? And did he just assume that what happened to junior was my fault?

I snort out of rage. "Just keep your money, believe whatever you want, I did the right thing, fiding that kid was one of the best things that ever happened to me, I'm leaving now."

One of the many thing I inherited from my mother was her lack of patience, that surely did not help at times like this.

I get up abruptly, I couldn't care less if I was making a scene, I'm never going to see him again anyway. I could feel his gaze following me walk out the room.

After delicately closing the door shut, I let out the air I didn't even know I had been holding in. This was intense, I don't think he recognised me, of course he didn't, why would someone like him remember a nobody like me. But that's not important.

Although I will surely miss Junior, (Okay I need to get used to calling him that from now on) I made the right decision, his father is happy, his whole family is happy. I just need to try and move on with my life, like he will do with his own.

While I strolled on the imense corridors, I prayed I wouldn't bump into anyone, actually I mostly prayed I was going the right way. Oh my god, don't they ever get lost in here? It feels like I'm inside a maze, I would easily lose my mind.

I finally reached the gigantic room, there was only one person there, a man to be exact, he was comfortably sitting on the couch, he must be a relative or someone pretty close to the family. I tried to pass by him discreetly, but that failed miresably.

"Oh hello there, haven't seen you here before."- He jumps over the couch, blocking my escape chance. He looked me up and down, making me slightly uncomfortable "I swore he only went for model chicks"- He mumbled that last part, He took my hand in his, and gave it a light peck, but I soon, retrieved it away from his touch.

"I'm Ricardo, Cristiano's friend, and you are?"

"I'm Melissa."- I answer shortly after. "And I really need to get going now, nice to meet you, bye."- Before he had time to say something else I was already out the door, sprinting like my life depended on it, the security opened the huge metal gates, and I was finally out of that place.

I sigh in relief.

I wanted to see Junior one last time, but I know that would have just made matters worse, and his father surely wouldn't have appreciated that idea.

Great, there aren't any bus stops here, how the hell am I supposed to get home?

The only alternative I have is to walk, I'm quite sure if I walk a bit I will get to one, well at least I hope so. It took me at least 15 minutes before I finally came across one.

"Mel! You're here, where's Clis?"- I exhale deeply, attempting to stop the tears from flowing out.

"I'm going to get you some water dear"- Miss Barbara startes and walks over to the kitchen.

"Princess, remember when I told you that eventually one day Cristiano was going to go back to his real family?" She nods.

"That day was today angel, he's with his real family now."- It was only a matter of time before she was sobbing in my arms.

"Shhhhh, I know, princess, I am so sorry, I promise we will visit him one day. Look at me."- Seeing her tear stained cheek and her red eyes, totally shattered my heart. I make it my goal to clean everything with my thumb and fill her face with kisses.

"But you have to promise me one thing."- She instantly looks at me hopeful.

"I want to see a big smile in your beautiful face now."- She seemed slightly reluctant at first but she couldn't hold it in and gave me the most radiant smile ever.