Chapter 40 - despair

Melissa

When we walked back, Cristiano and Estephany prevailed sitting on the outdoor couch, whilst Isaac looked like he was going to be crushed by Clary and Junior, who were plunging onto him like two little monkeys. Nonetheless, it still didn't stop him from going on a rant with Ms. Dolores, who occurred to be listening very attentively.

"Anyway, so while he was checking me out across the restaurant bar, I slipped him my number. And he was like 'no thank you' and I was like 'what do you mean' And he completely rejected me! I'm not taking this well, Ms. Dolores. That man wasn't right in the head." He babbled. I secured my chuckle.

I travelled my eyes around the garden until they eventually landed on what they secretly sought, more specifically, who they sought for.

As soon as the blonde beside him saw me, her arms flew around Cristiano's, like a predator securing its prey.

He was so busy staring at the grass with such burning intensity that it seemed he was going to fry it with his gaze.

Ricardo and I awkwardly plopped down on the checkered cloth. I was pretty sure Cristiano was now staring at the both of us so I tried to avoid eye contact with him at all costs.

Isaac had stopped ranting about the restaurant clerk and turned his attention to us, carefully untangling himself from the energetic duo.

"What were you two doing in there," he interrogated maliciously. I rolled my eyes.

"Talking, just talking." Ricardo reinforced, throwing a grape in the air and catching it precisely after with his mouth.

Isaac didn't look too convinced. "Sure, and I'm pregnant." he snickered while making his way towards us.

"You are?" junior exclaimed with his mouth wide open as well as Clary, who along with junior wasn't able to grasp the joke.

"No sweetie, it was something called sarcasm. Fortunately, men can't get pregnant..." he continued to explain, only confusing them even further.

"Okay, Isaac I think that's enough." I interfered hoping we could move on.

Night came pretty quickly after that which also indicated the picnic coming to a much-desired end and we headed inside not before a few protests from Junior, luckily he's very obedient and as soon as Cristiano interfered, he didn't dare say anything else.

I saw some crayons and a couple of sheets of paper left on the counter that I grabbed for Junior and Clary. We sat down at the kitchen table and I watched them both draw while we waited until dinner was ready.

"Junior I think it's time for someone to take a shower." Andreia entered the room and went over to him. I watched as he dramatically inhaled and looked at me, probably seeking some help but unfortunately I had my hands tied.

"I think the quicker you get it over with, the quicker you can come back." He pouted.

"But what about clary?"

"She'll be doing the same thing as you, but in our bathroom, come on, it'll be over before you know it." He agreed at last and left with Andreia, who looked relieved, bath times were always challenging.

Once showers were finished, we went back to the main house, only this time to the living room, where Junior was, all freshened up watching tv. Sadly, he wasn't alone, alongside him sat Estephany and Cristiano. And on the other couch Ricardo. Isaac had already left.

The moment they spotted us, Cristiano locked eyes with me but the hostility I saw through them made me shiver and look back at Junior. What was his problem?