Chapter 44 - rooftop

Cristiano gazed out towards the horizon. He hadn't looked at the time yet, but it must be pretty late; he had arrived back in his room not too long ago. Fernando had dismissed the team early so they could get a long night of sleep.

However, Cristiano was having a hard time following that simple order. Since every time he dared to close his eyes, a certain someone insisted on monopolizing his entire mindset.

He sensed this entire thing was gradually getting out of control, When in reality it got out of control ever since they exchanged their first kiss on the day of the party, or perhaps the time where he realized he spent a significant percentage of his day worrying about her, wondering if she's okay.

He felt terrible looking back on everything that happened, this feeling of constant regret and bitterness was something that Cristiano was slowly getting used to, despite how unbearable it sometimes got. The words she spat at him the other night at the hospital still swiveled in his mind and tormented him, but deep down it was really an eye-opener.

Cristiano was still uncertain of what sort of feelings he had for Melissa, any time his heart would even try and question what it was, he made sure to discard those queries immediately before it confirmed what deep down he already knew but was too scared to admit.

It wasn't that she wasn't good enough for him, in fact, it was quite the opposite. She did not deserve his life, the press always on her tail, paparazzi constantly invading her privacy, toxic fans who have absolutely no boundaries. No! He would never forgive himself if he ruined her life like that. She wouldn't be able to handle it, he knows she wouldn't.

Maybe Melissa seeing him with Estephany would make this less difficult for the both of them. He just didn't want to hurt her. but he acknowledged that the damage had already been done.

Feeling his mind slowly get submerged with depressing thoughts, he kicked off the sheets that laid on top of him and seeked for his clothes around the room. After slipping into some comfortable nike sweatpants along with a matching sweatshirt, he finalized the look with some white trainers.

He wasn't planning on exiting  the hotel, the last thing he needed was to get caught by the paps lurking around the city especially on the night before the big game. But he just couldn't force himself to sleep just yet. He needed to get some air.

Cristiano stumbled out of the room and made sure he had his card with him before shutting the door behind him. Getting locked out of his room would not be a very smart move on his behalf.

Stepping inside the elevator he pondered for a while on which button to press. He didn't even have a clue where he was heading. Maybe he should've thought this through beforehand.

He ignored the brief temptation to press the button of the floor where his mother and the rest were staying and instead raised his finger slightly higher and aimed for the one at the very top. Perhaps taking in the astonishing view of Milan would set his mind of things.

A moment later, he watched the metal door slide open. He prayed the rooftop stayed unlocked at night or else going all the way up there would be a waste of time.

He clenched his eyes shut as his hands grasped the handle of the door at the end of the corridor. He applied a small force on it and signed relived, seeing it slither along the ground.

The rooftop garden was nicely landscaped, with the pool at the middle. It had small trees and bushes alternating on one side and sections of grass and cement tiles alternating along the other side. A few poolside tables and chairs were placed on the cement tiles while individual lawn chairs took up the space on the grass sections. As expected, it was deserted. At least that's what he initially thought.