Chapter 49 - the storm

Yeah, I wanted to play tough, thought I could do
all this on my own
But even Superwoman sometimes needed Superman's soul
- helium, sia

***

Melissa

We landed back in Madrid just about two hours ago, I decided to cook with Marta so I could occupy my mind and stop thinking about what Cristiano could possibly want to talk to me about. And believe me when I tell you my mind was getting really, really out of control, imagining all the possible scenarios that could take place later on today.

Evidently, my plan wasn't working and I almost overdid it. Andreia took Junior and Clary upstairs to get them both unready and unpacked, the fact she wasn't paid to take care of my sister but still did it willingly really made me deeply grateful.

I could tell Marta noticed something was off about me. I was awfully quiet and would only give her short answers like yes or no or simply nod my head, but that is all I could afford to give right now. So when she announced she was going to the grocery store, deep down I felt somewhat relieved I would be a few minutes alone.

I scrubbed the pan with all of my force as I tried to deny what my conscience was telling me.

I'm not in love with him.

Yes, we're back to the denial stage. Bite me.

I continued to repeat the same words in my head and started to scrub the pan even harder. But the voice in the back of my mind wouldn't go away or soothe this feeling that was so overbearing.

The difference between being here and in Milano was that at least in Italy I had the vast opportunity to elude myself from my dismal reality, my mind even went as far as imagining we were just one big happy family travelling around Europe. But coming back here just served as a big slap in the face.

This was always going to be my life no matter what.

I felt a tear run down my cheek. Quickly bringing my hand up to my face I wiped it away. Nobody should know how I felt. Nobody was allowed to see me hurt. Taking a deep breath I tried to clear my mind, knowing I had to carry on as if nothing had happened. Or at least like what had happened didn't affect me in any sort of way. Which is far from the truth.

You're definitely in love with him.

I dropped the pan and sponge in the sink and held onto the edge as I closed my eyes. I almost laughed at how pathetic I was being. After a few seconds of doing nothing, I picked up the sponge and started scrubbing again. I relaxed my mind slightly and took deep breaths to calm down.

Hearing footsteps coming closer, I straightened my back and picked a kitchen towel from the counter to dry my hands and put on a smile. "Mel? Isaac wants you!" Junior came bursting into the room, buzzing as always.

"Just give me a second," I replied. But as always Junior was too busy with his own words, "He told me to come get you now because we're going to go somewhere." I frowned but nodded.

What could this man be up to?

Entering the living room I was immediately met with his sparkly bright pink summer shirt, I'm sure that thing could be seen from out of space. Maybe I'm exaggerating but it was certainly flashy. He definitely knew how to draw attention to himself.

Slumped next to him was Ms. Dolores.

"Finally, just who I wanted to see!" he stood up and engulfed me in a warm hug. I gladly returned it.