I grimaced at the albums, dreading what they revealed. I was done with the pity parties for awhile and was still feeling exhaustion from my emotional meltdowns yesterday.

Why did I have to be so sensitive all the time? I frowned as I pulled out all the thin books and papers and gathered them up into a pile before carrying them back down to the living room where I set them on the coffee table with a loud thud. I rubbed my arms which felt strained from the effort of carrying them, and then went back to the kitchen for another cup of tea. Stalling I chided myself.  

When I finally sat back down on the couch with the first photo album in my lap, my palms were sweating. The first page, however, had no photo whatsoever, only a newspaper clipping.

A newspaper clipping for a certain Myra Abigail, an article about her death. I turned the page to find a picture of the kind-eyed old woman with her name neatly scrawled underneath.

The following page contained an article of death for David Brindlow and realization dawned in my eyes; it was a scrapbook of all the deaths that Elliot had caused. I flipped through the pages, holding my breath when I reached my own. The article and picture were there just like with the rest. The thought that that was close to being real made my heart rate spike. I quickly flipped the pages until I found the picture of a sweet looking baby. There were tear stains on the page.

Elliot cared a lot after all. 

Sighing, I closed the book and picked up one of the many file folders. Inside the first were stacks of paper all bundled up with paperclips. I pulled out one at random and saw a photo of one of the deceased, Sarah Holmes. On this page were pictures of her as well as countless tidbits of information: address, phone number, SSN, bank account number, vehicle registration... It listed her degrees, her job, her family members. The basic facts of her life were all laid out for anyone to see.

I flipped back through the other stacks until I found one with my name on it. As I tore through the sheets of paper I couldn’t help but gape at how spot-on all this information was. Elliot was scary good at doing background checks. My hands shook as I set down all the information folders back onto the coffee table.

In the corner of my eye I noted a typed page with a list of names, the names of everyone a-z. I bit my lip, feeling guilty. I knew that these people were going to die. Did I have a responsibility to reach out to them, to warn them?

But then again, if they didn’t and more people suffered than that would be far worse. Yet Elliot tried to warn me about what was coming…

This information certainly wasn’t doing anything to ease the tornado of thoughts and questions swirling around my brain. I kneaded my forehead with my knuckles and leaned forward, looking at the last unopened file folder.

With a sigh I flicked the cover open, figuring now was better to than later.

I sucked in a breath when I took in the sight of a very legal-looking document.

This contract gives the parameters for a legal agreement negotiated by Elliot Marvins and the chief of the PP branch of S.O.M.E.

Failure to comply with this agreement will result in:

“Collateral damage” on the scale discussed and according to the population control standards of S.O.M.E. All collateral damage will be understood to be the fault of the signing person, Elliot Marvins.

Failure in compliance includes but is not limited to:

·         Failure to sign and/or abide by the rules of the contract.

Thanatophobia (fear of dying)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें