Chapter 18

We arrive back at the apartment and Shawn lets me shower first, once I hear him switch on the water I head into his room and grab four of the photos from the bunch on his bedside. I carefully place them into the photos frames before placing one on the table at the front door, two in the living room and one in his room.

As I'm heading back to my room I pass the bathroom door and I can hear Shawn singing in the shower - it's one of the songs I played for him on the way to the lake. I sit against the wall beside the bathroom door and listen until the water stops and I quickly scamper into my room and browse the internet for flights home.

"Do you enjoy my shower singing?" Shawn asks, and I look up to see him leaning against the door frame with a towel wrapped around his waist.

"Ugh I..." is all I can muster in my state of embarrassment and he laughs at me.

"Just kidding, I don't mind" he says flashing me a smile before heading into his room.

I have never regretted not kissing him more than I do right now.
I continue to browse flights, and find a few cheap last minute deals and book one for next Wednesday.

"Jen!" Shawn calls and I get up and head into the living room. "What's this?" He says holding one of the photos frames.

"Nothing, I'm just saying thanks for letting me stay" I say with a shrug.

"You really didn't have to" he says smiling at the photo.

"It's fine, it's like four frames, nothing major" I say.

"Well thank you, it's a step towards making this apartment a bit more like a home" he says with a sincere smile and I smile back. We have some lunch then sit on the sofa, I watch the rain through the window.

"So what you want to do?" Shawn asks.

"I don't know, what do you usually do when it's raining?" I ask, Shawn gets up and returns with a guitar and begins to play.
I lay back into the sofa and listen to him play.

"How long does it take you to learn a song?" I ask.

"Just depends, but not that long why?"

"Just curious" I say.

"Give me a song to learn and I'll show you" I grab my phone and shuffle my music, the first song that pops up it Lauv - I like me better. 

Shawn brings up the YouTube tutorial and I watch as he learns the song, after about 20 minutes he can pretty much play it.

I make us both a mug of coffee and I sit by the window looking out as he plays over the song a few more times.
"Midnight into morning coffee
Burning through the hours talking
Damn, I like me better when I'm with you" he sings as he plays through one last time.
"Does it sound good?" He asks.

I roll my eyes "of course it sounds good" I say.

I take a sip from my coffee and Shawn plays some random tunes.

"Play something from your new album" I say.

"What's your favourite?" He asks genuinely interested to know my answer.

"Uhm well in my blood but also where were you in the morning or queen" he nods. "Not being an ass kisser but I genuinely don't skip any songs on that album" he smiles and looks down.

"Thanks" he says.

"Still blows my mind how you write these crazy good love songs and you've never been in love" I say.

"Don't rub it in" he says.

"Oh I'm not, right now I'm the last person in favour of falling in love" I say.

"Is heartbreak really that bad?" He asks.

"Well right now? Yea, but maybe in a few months asks me again" I say.

"How many times do you think you could get your heart broken before you give up on love?" He asks, not really asking me directly but more just thinking out loud.

"Just depends on the person I think, and the seriousness of the relationship. Up until about 30 seconds before Will told me he wanted to break up I genuinely thought I was going to marry him, I thought he was the one for me. And with those few words he went from someone I talked to every single day and loved for 3 years to someone I felt awkward and unwanted around" I sigh, continuing to stare out the window.

"You should write a book" Shawn says half sarcastically.

"I don't think anyone would want to read a book of my unanswered questions and complaints" I say.

"Do you ever write?" Shawn asks.

"Yea I journal all the time but I'd never actually write stuff for other people to read"

"You should think about it" he says before beginning to play where were you in the morning, I sip my coffee and go back to watching the rain.

__________________