Chapter 11

Shawn logs into Netflix and browses the movies.

"This is so much better than UK Netflix" I say looking at all the movies.

"What kinda movie you wanna watch?"

"Anything I'll probably fall asleep before the end anyways" I say, he clicks on new releases and puts on a random movie, its pretty funny but we end up talking over it.

"So What makes you want to be an engineer?" Shawn asks.

"I've always wanted to do something to do with construction, I want to be able to make sustainable buildings, I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to saving the environment" I say. "What about you, why do you want to be a singer?"

"I want to be able to make music that actually helps people" he says and my heart melts.

"I'm so glad you say that, I refuse to listen to music that has crappy lyrics" I say and he nods agreeing.

"Yea but I'd also like to be an actor, acting is so fun" I look at him raising an eyebrow.

"We differ greatly in terms of that, I hate being on stage" I say.

"Why?" He asks.

"It's terrifying, I've done a few plays but I've always been in the background"

"I love that feeling of being nervous then going out and nailing a performance" he says smiling to himself.

"Yea it's not for me, I'll just stay in the crowd"I say and he laughs.

"You play any instruments?" He asks.

"Not really, I can play the ukulele a little, my friend had one and we taught ourselves" I say as he gets up and walks over to another room I haven't been in yet, he motions me to follow.
The room is full of instruments and there's awards hanging on the walls. He hands me a ukulele and I laugh.

"Shawn I haven't held a ukulele in over a year"

"At least have a try" he say and I sigh and begin trying to remember how to play 'hey soul sister' by train. I remember bits and pieces but it's not great.

"Do you even know what song it is?" I say as I look up at Shawn who's just staring at me.

"Yea it's Hey soul sister" he says and I smile. He comes over behind and teaches me the bits I can't remember, his arms are reaching over me and he touches my hands to adjust them to the notes, my heart is racing so fast I can hardly concentrate.
After a couple of minutes I can play it almost perfectly, Shawn takes a step back and I play through it with a few mistakes but overall it sounds pretty good.

"See? You need a little more faith in yourself" he says and I laugh a little, he's so sweet. He then goes over to the piano and sits down.

"I can't imagine how jealous your fas must be of me right now" I say, he smiles and then begins playing Ed Sheerans song perfect. I sit down on a sofa and listen, his voice is so amazing as he sings effortlessly to the song, I close my eyes and listen.
Im a little disappointed when the song ends, he spins around on the stool.

"I still think my ukulele playing was better" I say sarcastically.

"Yea I can't deny that" he shrugs before laughing.

"Joking aside that was incredible, you're extremely talented. But I guess you already know that" I say pointing to all the awards on the walls.

"Ugh Yea I guess so" He laughs awkwardly, he clearly doesn't like sounding immodest.

"Well you're very impressive" I say "can you play one of your own songs?" I ask, trying not to sound like a desperate fan.

"Sure, any requests?"

"Whatever you like playing most" I say and he begins playing lost in Japan. I lay back on the sofa and hum along, next thing I know I'm being carried, I open my eyes slowly looking straight up at Shawn, he lays me onto my bed and pulls the covers over me.

"Thanks" I whisper.

"Night Jen" he says quietly. He called me Jen, I fall asleep with a smile on my face.

________________________