Frenemies. (teenage!Joe Trohman x Reader)

════════════════

For: @gayasever

Request: i want this to be during high school. y/n gets bulled by joe but just because he loves her. after school one day they run into each other and she asks him why. you can choose how he answers. i thought it'd be cool.

REQUESTS ARE CLOSED.

*

Note: Fun fact – this is based off of two of my real life best friends. Their relationship is quite... complicated.

════════════════

════════════════

There you were, strolling down the school hallways, in a good mood for the first time the entire week. You had completed and handed in all assignments, exam season was officially over, and it was Friday – life was not shitty, for once.

Then, you rounded the corner and when you approached your locker, all inklings of happiness flew out of the metaphorical window. Because there, leaning against your locker and thumbing through their phone with earphones in their ears, was the bane of your existence.

Joe Trohman.

You drew in a deep breath and screamed internally as you mentally prepared yourself for the interaction that was about to occur.

The two of you had been friends since the first day of high school; now here you were, a couple months before you graduated and left high school behind forever, and you still hadn't managed to get rid of the guy.

You see, the term 'friend' is used very loosely, here – there was very little love lost between the two of you. Joe had joined your friend group when (Y/B/F) had taken a liking to him in freshman year; the two of them grew close quickly and as a result, you too were stuck having him around.

You weren't sure what it was – if it was that your personalities clashed, if you both wanted the title of (Y/B/F)'s best friend – but whatever the reason, you and Joe were constantly at each other's throat.

But, oddly enough, that was only half of the dynamic of your relationship. While, yes, you fought (a lot), you were both still incredibly close. It was weird. He was still one of your best friends, but you hated him.

It was confusing to everyone who had the privilege of being in the company of the two of you, but it was even more confusing to you. You knew he regarded you as a close friend, so why would he constantly bully you by doing stuff like this?

"Joe!" you yelled in aggravation as the boy pulled the hair tie off of your hair, letting it fall down in a way that was not at all elegant. "Stop being such a-"