Author's Note One

11.10.18

Hello All, 

  I'll try to keep these short. Originally in my first set of poetry books I would add a 'Breaker' in between every ten poems. In 2012-2013 there was a 100 part limitation on each work that could be written so I used that as my limitation on when I was writing at that time. 

  Since this will be the first book in my newest series "Written Configuration" I will be changing how I structure my poetry journals. I write poetry not for the fame, the votes, the comments, or etc. I write poetry to help me with my anxiety and depression. 

  My poetry books are in series based on time and are not meant to be read in any specific order. This poetry is themed around the struggles I'm going through internally and externally. At this time I am currently pursuing education in the Vigan City, Philippines. Originally, I am from San Angelo, Texas. 

  Writing has been my coping mechanism for years. It was what I learned to turn to instead of cutting. In Texas, I have a support system of people who can understand me through physical, emotional, spiritual, and verbal communication. In this country, I have yet to build up my support system. 

  Right now I have two main friends and each one is doing their best to adjust to me and I try my best to adjust to them. My main focus more than anything is learning the two languages of my region: Filipino and Ilokano. Through my teachers, friends, classmates, and the general population I am learning the languages but it is still a level of difficult that has me exerting a lot of my energy in a way that is not comfortable. 

  To make these notes more interesting I guess I should add some questions. Answer these in the comments if you will. These notes are meant for me to share my story as well as for you to share yours. (Not in the SYS type of way but in a personal manner.) If you would rather answer these in a personal message feel free to send me one. I also do not mind if you do not answer the questions but I would like to talk to the people reading my work. It gives a sense of the fact that my readers are real instead of numbers. 

Question to the readers. (With my answers as well).

1. How many languages do you speak? What are they?

  I speak English. Although, hopefully by the time I graduate I'll be able to speak Filipino, Ilokano, Itneg, and Spanish as well. 

2. What are the countries you would like to visit if there are any? 

  Spain is my first priority but I'm probably going to plan to visit Germany due to a few friends being there! 

3. Tell something about your culture or the mix of culture you feel you belong to. What's something weird in a culture you see around you?

  As an American my culture is a mixture of many things. From the language deriving from 6 languages to the physical culture that I'm exposed to. I grew up in West Texas, around an Asian community, but also a Mexican community. 

  When I first came to the Philippines and said, "Gracias, Hasta Luego." (Thank you, see you later) to one my cousins he stared at me real hard and I realized at that moment, the people that I lived with at that time can't understand Spanish. 

  This wasn't intentional on my part but it was something that did not cross my mind until I saw my cousin's reaction. I had to process why he reacted the way he did and asked myself, what did I do to cause his reaction? I don't speak Spanish fluently but there are small phrases I say more in Spanish than I do in English and the habit did not occur to me until I moved to the Philippines. 

  Something weird to me in this country. A lot of things really but I understand it. Here's one that amused me. It's not legal to adopt a baby. It's legal to adopt a toddler but not a newborn. It is the responsibility of the birth mother to take care of the child until the age four or five I suppose.  At least, that is what I was told I didn't look into it too much. My main focus is to learn the languages here, as I said. 

4. What is poetry to you?

  Poetry is a way for me to express myself in less words but with more meaning. Right now I'm practicing poetry in Filipino and I need my friends for that. They are more than willing to help me and I'm glad. (In terms of writing) 

  When I read poetry I look to see if the content is understandable in a 'feeling' sense. If I understand the message than I'm content. I don't care as much for the grammar but the grammar is also very important when it comes to poetry. 

5. What brought you to Wattpad in the first place?

  To be honest, I don't quite remember. I think my niece was the one who showed it to me. She doesn't use Wattpad anymore but I used it to post my poetry and a story that I've written and rewritten many times. One day I hope to be able to post the story in a way that I like but for now it's in my drafts. Lol. 

  Now that you know a little more about me I'd like to read about you! In the comments give me a poetry book or shot story that you've written and would like me to read or someone elses's work that you think I should read. I like having a to do list. 

Thank you all, Catch you in the next note!

DJ