Chapter Forty-Three

Start from the beginning

"And if they don't?" Justin pressed, crossing his arms tightly. "Lyra, you're giving us a lot of what ifs."

"I know," I admitted, "but if there's a slight chance I can do something to save them, or at least keep them alive, then that's a chance I want to take."

Justin opened his mouth, but Jean said, "As much as I don't want to admit it, hiding her could prove to be a much more dangerous decision than just handing her over."

Garry nodded, rubbing the back of his head. "Damn, this sucks. But she's more likely to survive at the hands of her own kind, right?"

Justin looked skeptical and Katrina looked worried. I sighed and hugged myself gently. What would my mates do? What would my brother do? I wasn't sure what the best choice to make was, but I knew deep down that attempting to save them would be worth anymore pain I might go through.

"I've made my choice, but..." I looked at Justin, silently pleading. If he was aiming to become Alpha, then he was smart enough to know what the best choice was. "I don't know you enough Justin, but I know you care about them and have more history with Xain and Connor than I ever will. They would want to keep me safe, but I want the same for them too. Please, you have to let me try."

Justin stared at me before sighing and shrugging. "You're not my sister or daughter. What you do is your choice to make."

I blinked before exhaling. "Right, okay."

"I'm going to see how far away the mob is," Jean stated, walking toward the front door. "Best prepare, human."

I nodded, watching him leaving before noticing Katrina's disapproving look.

She noticed and softened her gaze. "Lyra, if you do this, you might get hurt, or worse. This is a really bad idea, even by my standards."

"Oh, so you have one?" Garry joked, only to duck when Katrina threw a knife at him. Justin rolled his eyes but didn't ease up. I sighed, wishing I could help him, but there was nothing I could do.

"Go get dressed," Justin said suddenly, turning and walking to the door. "I'll find a pair of shackles." He left without saying another word. I glanced at Katrina, who was staring at the front door.

She looked as if she wanted to say something, but shut her mouth instead.

~
*
~

I made sure to wear a thick shirt and put on pants instead of a skirt, using a belt to hold the pants up. I brushed my hair quickly, putting it in a low ponytail before slipping socks and a pair of boots on. I didn't look like a girl, not entirely, but the clothes were meant to keep me warm.

That is, unless they were going to strip me of them and leave me in rags. I shivered, forcing myself to think of anything else other than what they might do to me.

After wrapping up and hiding a knife in the wraps of my underwear, I walked out of the boys' bedroom, approaching Emily, Garry and Katrina. They looked at me, smiling sadly.

"I wish it didn't come to this," Emily spoke, barely holding back a quiver and she hugged me tightly. "I was just getting used to your company too!"

Garry joined the hug, holding the both of us and saying, "Don't worry, champ, you'll make it. We'll be alright in the end, I'm sure of it."

Katrina just looked at me, giving me a hopeful smile as her eyes almost watered. "If things work out, we'll see her and the brothers soon enough," she said, standing up. Just as she tried to approach me, Jean returned with shackles and a rope.

I stared at him, fearful but determined as I stepped back from Emily. I placed my hands together, wrapping one set of fingers over the other. If I was going to be held against my will, then I at least wanted to comfort myself.