Chapter Thirty-Five

Start from the beginning

"Yes, with a crayon," Kobe lazily answered rather than explaining to Milo. "And black people can have blonde hair too. It's all about genetics."

"Gen-huh?"

"Nevermind, kid."

I laughed before stepping back to walk towards my office. Little does Kobe know, he just opened a portal full of questions for Milo to ask him. Nya followed me quietly. When we got to my office, I took a seat behind my desk and she sat across from me. She scratched her shoulder awkwardly, and before she could say anything. I opened my mouth to apologize. I was upset with her, but some of the things I said the other night was out of line and deserved more than her slapping me in the f-cking face. I deserved for her to punch my teeth out.

"I'm sorry. I got angry and I said some sh-tty stuff. I was a terrible lover. I didn't give you the time you deserved or cared about your mental wellbeing the way I should've. I should've been able to tell that you weren't okay mentally. I should've known that you wanted to kill yourself. I should've paid attention, but I didn't. I was trash. I was focused on the gym and the kids and thought I didn't need to focus on you because I felt like...I had you in the bag. You were my wife and I thought I could just dismiss you and not have any consequences and that wasn't right. That was f-cked up. I was f-cked up. You could've jumped from a balcony and died. I would've been heartbroken and crying at the funeral, knowing that it was my fault because I didn't give you the attention or check on you like I should've."

A hot, solo tear ran down my cheek and I wiped it away, but more followed after it. Nya was trying to keep herself together as she sat across from me, but her eyes were starting to water too. "Nya, I'm sorry and I wish I could take things back. I wish we could be happily married still and that the kids wouldn't have to go from house to house. But I know I f-cked things up beyond repair. I deserved for you to leave and take the kids with you too, but you were generous enough to share custody. I'm thankful. Putting my hands on you whether I was drunk or not isn't okay. I'm still guilty of it. I still did it. It was my hands that hurt you. I'm at fault. No matter what happened, I should've never hit you. I should've treated you better. Our relationship ending is all on me, but you're happier now. You have Crystal and she makes you happy and that makes me happy."

Nya had some tears coming down her cheeks and she shook her head at me. "I can't believe you finally genuinely apologized to me."

"I admit, it was past due. Years past due."

"I forgive you. Of course, I'll never forget it, but you're forgiven. I know you can be a better person. You kind of already are. I noticed you stopped getting drunk after the incident. You on alcohol is intolerable and you're so easily riled up, but with a sober mind, you're one of the sweetest people I know."

I gave Nya a small smile and she smiled too before biting her lip. "You know, Leilani and I made things official."

Nya's eyes looked like they were going to pop out of her head as she sat up in the chair. "What?! Like y'all are together together?"

"We are," I said with a quiet chuckle. It was hard to believe myself. I never thought I would date again. I thought I would be that friend who was still single in their forties and f-cking random people, but Leilani disrupted that thought. I actually saw a future with her. Hopefully, in my forties, I'll still be with her.

"Wow...that's f-cking wild."

"I really like her, like a lot. I see a future with her and I don't think it'd be so bad if I spent the rest of my life with her. It's weird to think about so soon, but she's definitely dope."

"She's "dope""," Nya repeated with a laugh.

"She is! She makes me laugh all the time and she's so sure of what she wants. Like, she basically asked me to be her girlfriend. She told me she was going to cut me off if I wasn't willing to be official with her. I was being stupid about being official, but now that we are, I know it's the right choice. It feels right. Nothing's awkward, you know?"